Changing hay

My Piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi fellow forum members 😊

I live in Australia so hay is usually very expensive and good quality hay is hard to come by due to the heat here. My three piggies are currently eating Oxbow timothy hay, which some of you may know costs me about $100 a month for just 4kg, because it has to be imported from America.

I've recently discovered that a rescue near me sells bales of hay for just $22. They have barley hay and Rhodes grass hay.
So my first question is which type of hay would you recommend?
Second, do you have any tips for transitioning pigs over to a new type of hay? Do I need to mix both and slowly wean them off the timtohy?
Any advice very much appreciated 😊
And a pigture for good measure 😂
Resized_20211108_173537.webp

Hay here can also vary a lot in quality and price, so to be honest I always use a mix anyway.
If you can see the hay bales before you buy then just pick the one that looks nice and smells fresh.
I find the best way to get piggies enthuastiac about a new hay is to suff a few cardboard boxes with it and let them get right inside and sort through it themselves.
Mine always ate far more hay when fed large piles than smaller amounts in a hay rack.

Hay here can also vary a lot in quality and price, so to be honest I always use a mix anyway.
If you can see the hay bales before you buy then just pick the one that looks nice and smells fresh.
I find the best way to get piggies enthuastiac about a new hay is to suff a few cardboard boxes with it and let them get right inside and sort through it themselves.
Mine always ate far more hay when fed large piles than smaller amounts in a hay rack.
Thank you. So should I stuff some things with the new hay while the old hay is in the cage, or just switch over to the new hay immediately?

Thank you. So should I stuff some things with the new hay while the old hay is in the cage, or just switch over to the new hay immediately?
I would leave some of the old hay available while they adjust, but be sure to give them plenty of the new hay in an interesting way (if that makes sense).

Beautiful pigwigs :luv::luv::luv:
Hope they like this new hay so you can save some money! I pay around £50 a month for hay with my four atm (well Cleo’s orchard grass which costs a bit more) but that’s a blooming fortune!

Back