Cavy Laundry.

Kellykels

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I know this sounds silly...but when you come to wash their fleece and beds. Is there a better detergent to wash it in so I don't hurt my boys?
I know there is pet safe stuff out there. Does anyone recommend any? Or are they just fine with human washing detergent?

I just use Persia powder and make sure it is rinsed. Never such thing as a silly question :)

You got a horse wash bag? Saves the washing machine believe me....

Any non bio detergent is okay, I usually use the own brand supermarket ones. I use white vinegar in the last rinse, it helps soften fleece and keep down detergent build up in the fleece. Don't use fabric softener, this coats the fleece and stops it wicking.

i use halo pet laundry wash,or a non bio and add napisan powder to the detergent. a horse bag is a bag you put your piggie washing in and prevents hay and debrie clogging your machine.which can result in a very expensive repair bill ! amazon,viovet sell them.:)

I also recommend a horse bag! I use non-bio washing powder too plus a dash of white vinegar :)

I don't use a wash bag and use normal asda non bio liquid on all my washing which it does well. My washing machine had a rock solid filter which gets cleaned after every wash and also a tub clean function which goes on after the piggy stuff. That coupled with a monthly dousing of anti bacterial washing machine cleaner keeps everything spic and span. I do make sure I have brushed and shook off all I can before hand. In the summer they go out on the line or in the conservatory to dry. In the colder weather everything goes on a cool dry in my tumble dryer.

I just use Persia powder and make sure it is rinsed. Never such thing as a silly question :)

I've been using my normal Persil detergent, but it's the bio one. Is this ok or not?

I wash all bedding and beds in a horse wash bag at 60degrees with non bio powder (currently Fairy as it was on offer). No fabric softener. Just white vinegar in the rinse (in the compartment where fab softener usually goes).
I change pee pads daily, houses every alternate day and the fleece flooring twice a week.

I use cheap shops own non bio liquid, wash at 60 and thats it. Since switching to large hay trays with hay racks over them, the fleece just needs a quick shake and a brush down and it goes straight in the wash.

Hi,
I use non bio (any brand) and vinegar. Bought some laundry bags in home bargains as only have few peaces a day to wash.
After piggie laundry is done I set my washing machine to shortest settings with no laundry in it and put dettol laundry liquid as detergent and vinegar as softener.

I use a non bio liquid for sensitive skin and it's fragrance free. I also put laundry sanitiser in the wash, it smells quite strong of eucalyptus but once everything dries there's no smell. I also use a extra large laundry bag to wash pads in and I wipe any stray fur out of the machine with anti bac wipes.

I use a non bio liquid for sensitive skin and it's fragrance free. I also put laundry sanitiser in the wash, it smells quite strong of eucalyptus but once everything dries there's no smell. I also use a extra large laundry bag to wash pads in and I wipe any stray fur out of the machine with anti bac wipes.
I only have the cage part fleece, with no pad underneath. Their bed is fleece with their cushion and the rest is Back to nature paper bedding, so hopefully it won't be too bad to clean. :)

I use liquid tabs non bio. Also white vinegar. I don't use the horse bag as doesn't seem to wash as well. It's a fairly new machine so probably should use it. Machine is only about 8 weeks old

I've just listened to a youtuber with guinea's who has said you're not allowed to use just fleece or it will damage their health, it needs to have liner in it to absorb the urine and help their feet not get hurt. :S Time to spend more money on Amazon....

I use liquid tabs non bio. Also white vinegar. I don't use the horse bag as doesn't seem to wash as well. It's a fairly new machine so probably should use it. Machine is only about 8 weeks old
I think someone suggested a duvet case. Might work better.

Back