• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Castration Age?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey,
Simba is currently 10weeks old and I'm planning to get him 'done' in early January and then get him a female friend.
Will be he old enough by then? What age can they be done?

it mostly depends on the weight, because of the anaesthetic. if they are too little they couldnt handle that. i know some vets will only castrate them if they are AT LEAST over 500g. you can get younger piggies that have that weight, and older piggies that are so skinny that they wouldnt be considered for castration. so it really depends more on that than on the age.

Also it depends on whether or not the testicles are actually properly visible.

there are normal castrations and (at least in germany) so called "early-castrations" where you do it as young as possible, but afaik the weight and balls-have-to-be-visible- rules apply to both.

5 months is a good age.
As you are not far from me please consider using my vet as she is very experienced as she does all mine. It can be a risky op when the vet doesn't do many.

My vets have been fine doing my rats and cat, I'm sure they'd be ok with Simba. I trust them!

@Debs111 said:
My vets have been fine doing my rats and cat, I'm sure they'd be ok with Simba. I trust them!

Hello :)
If you have a very experienced in your area then that is the vet of choice in my opinion. You could do a lot worse than take "Hopperhaven" up on her offer to give you her vet details :)
I agree with everyone else, as long as you guinea pig is a decent size and healthy, 5 months is a very good age to arrange castration.
Just my thoughts on the matter :)

Barbara

The only problem with Hopperhaven's advice is I dont have any transport and shes based in Redditch!
I trust my vets anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back