Caring for two piggies after loosing a companion

Josie_lg

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just here for a little bit of advice. We lost my precious buttercup on Wednesday and not even four months ago lost our beautiful poppy, we are now left with honey and Hazel. We have always referred to them as the naughty children, poppy and buttercup were always so affectionate to eachother and to the others, but honey and Hazel have a bit of a love hate relationship. I feel awful for them especially Hazel as she and buttercup grew a lot closer after poppys passing. She liked to be around other piggies. Honey likes to keep herself to herself but also hates being alone. I’ve already noticed them getting slightly closer but i don’t know how best to support them after this huge and sudden loss. They had the chance to say their goodbyes so they know she isn’t there anymore. Even before she passed when she started to feel a bit poorly Hazel wouldn’t go near her which is unusual. Do they sense when their bodies are shutting down even before we do?
The cage is so empty. I’m still making sure there’s four beds, one for each piggie even though there’s only two in there now:(
I want the two of them to feel supported by eachother but they’ve never been very affectionate towards eachother.
Any advice for helping my piggies and myself cope with this adjustment as we are struggling.

Just here for a little bit of advice. We lost my precious buttercup on Wednesday and not even four months ago lost our beautiful poppy, we are now left with honey and Hazel. We have always referred to them as the naughty children, poppy and buttercup were always so affectionate to eachother and to the others, but honey and Hazel have a bit of a love hate relationship. I feel awful for them especially Hazel as she and buttercup grew a lot closer after poppys passing. She liked to be around other piggies. Honey likes to keep herself to herself but also hates being alone. I’ve already noticed them getting slightly closer but i don’t know how best to support them after this huge and sudden loss. They had the chance to say their goodbyes so they know she isn’t there anymore. Even before she passed when she started to feel a bit poorly Hazel wouldn’t go near her which is unusual. Do they sense when their bodies are shutting down even before we do?
The cage is so empty. I’m still making sure there’s four beds, one for each piggie even though there’s only two in there now:(
I want the two of them to feel supported by eachother but they’ve never been very affectionate towards eachother.
Any advice for helping my piggies and myself cope with this adjustment as we are struggling.

Hi

Give your piggies time and space to sort themselves out and to establish a new group eventually. The process takes about 2 weeks. Their bond will be quite different to what you are used to but it will be valid in its own right.
The best you can do is to sit back and let them get on with it without intervention - which is rather counterintuitive for you; I do appreciate that.

And yes, piggies have much finer senses than us, especially in terms of smell, hearing and pheromone output. Hazel would have known that Poppy was seriously ill before you. Changes in a relationshi/changes behaviours from companions have more than once alerted me to a developing major health problem.

Back