Caring for a lone guinea pig

Aisling

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I had two female guinea pigs, both about 5. Unfortunately one of my girls, Lou, passed away suddenly two days ago, leaving her cagemate, Chomper, alone. We let Chomper see Lou so that she understood what happened as I figured if we didn't she would just be looking for her. She didn't seem distressed or anything so maybe she knew it was coming. So far Chomper seems to still be eating ok and still gets excited when she is being fed or thinks she's being fed. She isn't drinking a whole lot, but looking back Lou always drank a good bit more water than Chomper.

Up until now, Chomper and Lou had been living in our shed (there are no harmful fumes in the shed and we bring them inside most weekends or if it's going to be especially cold) however I am now going to be moving Chomper inside more or less full-time.

I want her to be comfortable and happy in her old age, especially as she is now alone and I am looking for advice and ideas on how to do so.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the links.
I'm thinking tomorrow I will set her up in a 2x3 C&C cage in the living room. I'm also going to order a base for the cage, new liners and toys and maybe more C&C grids so I can bring the cage off the ground.

I’m sorry for your loss.
Bringing her inside is the right thing to do for her.
I assume you are wishing to end your piggy cycle?

I’m sorry for your loss.
Bringing her inside is the right thing to do for her.
I assume you are wishing to end your piggy cycle?
I do wish to end my piggy cycle, atleast for a while, but I hope to get more in the future.

I just finished getting Chomper set up, she seems to be doing ok.

Sorry for your loss. That’s great you are bringing Chomper inside, of course we’d always recommend getting lone piggies new friends but if Chomper is getting on in age and your wishing to end your piggie cycle then she should be okay on her own. But definitely consider getting her a buddy or even rehoming her.

Back