• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Caring for a Boar after neutering

RinT

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone, my Boar got neutered today. He is doing very well and is taking his medication, eating and drinking well. However, as he is currently asleep in his hide, I was wondering if I should have washed it beforehand? I apologise for the silly question, however he is my first guinea pig and I want to do everything right for him, especially because of his previous owners neglect/abuse. In my mind I thought that as the hide had been washed yesterday already and has his scent on it it might provide him some comfort? I did brush down the mat inside of it from poops but I'm worried in case there was anything on it that could cause an infection to his surgery? He did not get stitches, the vet used a skin glue on him.

Any advice would really help, as well as advice on how to care for him going forward (If I need to do anything special during his recovery other than his medication and holding him less).

Thank you!

Please don’t apologise for asking questions - we are all here to help.
Is it a fleece hide?
Assuming it isn’t very dirty given it was washed yesterday, then I really wouldn’t be worried.

Tips For Post-operative Care

Please don’t apologise for asking questions - we are all here to help.
Is it a fleece hide?
Assuming it isn’t very dirty given it was washed yesterday, then I really wouldn’t be worried.

Tips For Post-operative Care
It is yes :) I found that he prefers them over wooden ones. Is it okay if his hides are only fleece ones or would it be better to include hides from other materials too?

It is yes :) I found that he prefers them over wooden ones. Is it okay if his hides are only fleece ones or would it be better to include hides from other materials too?

If you wish to try others then of course you can do that but it’s absolutely fine that his hides are fleece.

Back