Car Travelling Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuzanna

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I will be going away in the Summer to Poland for 3 weeks and will be taking my two guinea pigs with me. I live in England and will be travelling by car so the journey will last about 12 hours. I know that this will put a lot of pressure on the guinea pigs but I would like to ask for advice as to how I can make this as best for them as I can.

What is the best way to transport the guinea pigs? (I have a large cage in Poland that the guinea pigs will be moved into for the holiday, but what would be best for travelling purposes?)
Other than that question, I would just like to ask for general advice.

Thank you!

(My guinea pigs have both been in the car a few times, so it will not be anything completely new to them.)

I think smaller travelling quarters are fine, and smaller spaces can help them feel safer. It's good that they're used to travelling and letting them get used to the travelling box before traveling is good idea too. My main concern would be them getting too hot, if you're using a plastic carry box they can trap heat, especially if there's fluffy hay inside. But on the flip side, they shouldn't be in the direct stream of air-con either. A supply of cucumber can make sure they don't dehydrate and you could offer them a water bottle or bowl ( what ever they're used it) at rest stops.

Just from my trips to the vets with my three... they can quarrel when they're cooped up so I'd take a back up 'time out' box in case a certain pig got too grumpy! (Here's looking at you Chewie)

I'm sure I don't need to say, but do not leave them in the car on your toilet breaks!

Thank you for the reply!

I am yet to book my tickets to Poland and I have two choices as to how to get across the sea - by the Euro Tunnel or ferry. I don't know which would be better seeing as the Euro Tunnel could be very stressful as it is going in an underwater tunnel, however the journey by ferry is significantly longer.

I've never been on the euro tunnel, but I'm not sure the pigs would be able to tell they're technically underwater! Several members here travel their pigs by train successfully, I guess it'd be similar?

I wouldn't think they could tell either but I know that I certainly can as my ears always ache. The main problem I'm worried about is the change of pressure that happens whilst going underwater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back