Car ride advice!

rei

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello👋🏼 I was wondering how long a guinea pig can go in a car... I need to drive with my family to see our grandparents for two days . The car ride is about 4 hours , and we were planning on taking the cage with us and just having her in the back . I of course would sit next to her ( there are two seats in the back of the trunk and we were planning on taking one out , so I’ll be able to sit next to the cage legally ) I don’t know if it is okay for her? And I don’t really trust her alone with my dad because he’s usually busy and I don’t want the cats to get in my room and traumatize her. 💖 thank you for any replys. :-)

Hello,

Our piggies have had car rides and train rides with no issues. We put them in an animal carrier with lots of hay and puppy pads underneath. We packed some veg to give along the way, peppers and lettuce,and cucumber for water. We also covered the carrier with a towel when we travelled by trains. Please only do this if the car isn't warm inside because we don't want the piggies to overheat, plus they already have the hay to keep warm.

I also kept talking to them regularly to reassure them that I'm there and they're okay.

I hope this helps!

Hello,

Our piggies have had car rides and train rides with no issues. We put them in an animal carrier with lots of hay and puppy pads underneath. We packed some veg to give along the way, peppers and lettuce,and cucumber for water. We also covered the carrier with a towel when we travelled by trains. Please only do this if the car isn't warm inside because we don't want the piggies to overheat, plus they already have the hay to keep warm.

I also kept talking to them regularly to reassure them that I'm there and they're okay.

I hope this helps!
Thank you for this! 💖

It should be fine. Just put some bedding in the carrier (fleece, towel or similarly) and put in some hay as well for her to munch on. You can do one or two slices of veggies as well.

May I ask, does she live alone?

Reactions: rei
It should be fine. Just put some bedding in the carrier (fleece, towel or similarly) and put in some hay as well for her to munch on. You can do one or two slices of veggies as well.

May I ask, does she live alone?
Yes she does, but I’m working on getting another. I recently got her at a Petstore and the people there told me she was okay to live alone and I didn’t know that they need at least one other friend. I was so annoyed that the lady lied to me that they were fine by themselves 🙄 but nothing less thank you for your reply! 💖5173EF4B-F855-4D52-BF0E-A3F773549858.webp

Beautiful girl 😍 remember it’s personality rather than age which determines compatibility. I’d there is a rescue near you that does dating, she can choose her own friend. That’s the best way to get a good match. Good luck with the travels.

Reactions: rei
Beautiful girl 😍 remember it’s personality rather than age which determines compatibility. I’d there is a rescue near you that does dating, she can choose her own friend. That’s the best way to get a good match. Good luck with the travels.
Thank you!

Hello👋🏼 I was wondering how long a guinea pig can go in a car... I need to drive with my family to see our grandparents for two days . The car ride is about 4 hours , and we were planning on taking the cage with us and just having her in the back . I of course would sit next to her ( there are two seats in the back of the trunk and we were planning on taking one out , so I’ll be able to sit next to the cage legally ) I don’t know if it is okay for her? And I don’t really trust her alone with my dad because he’s usually busy and I don’t want the cats to get in my room and traumatize her. 💖 thank you for any replys. :-)
My guinea pigs hate going in the car. Every time I take them to the vets they hate it even though it’s a 5 minute car ride. I put a soft towel down, hay and veggies and they still argue. The carrier case is massive and they still argue! I really think it depends on the personality of the piggies and how they take to car journeys. I have all girls and they get on perfectly fine, but when it comes to the car I dread it. I feel bad leaving the rest at home, which is why I take them all if only one has to go to the vets

My two are seasoned travellers. I put their travel cage in, it’s their old cage, size 120 cm x 60 cm and they are fine for 4-5 hours. Give them plenty of moist veggies/herbs, hay and a few Pellets. Mine eat and sleep. They have a move around when we stop for breaks and are very relaxed.

My pigs travelled fine for that distance in a roomy carrier, on hay and with cucumber and parsley to hydrate them.

This was in Summer and out of interest, while planning the trip, I put a room thermometer in the back seat while the car was parked at home and it got up to 50 degrees. I'm also aware in this weather that anything left in the car can be freezing.

I therefore never leave the pigs in the car on journeys, say to go have lunch in a motorway service stop.

I usually put mine in a large cat carrier. I put a dog training pad on the bottom, and then bedding over top for ultimiate absorption, and clip a small water bottle to the front of the carrier, and give him lots of hay throughout the drive. It also helps to put something in there that smells like them, so some sort of small hiding toy or fleece blanket is good for calming their nerves.

Back