• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Captain has passed away

• Thread starter Thread starter boysmum
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

boysmum

I lost my darling Captain on Friday.

He had had some teeth problems for which he was getting regular trims, but he also got a respiratory infection and I was told by the vet to give him antibiotics. The infection did not seem to be clearing up and I took him back 3 times. Nothing, no further treatment . One vet even said when she heard him rasping "Oh that's just normal guinea pig noises!"" No it is not! I changed surgery after that. Captain had to be syringe fed and had trouble breathing. He went to the vets again on Tuesday and I came away with no further progress. "Keep him on the antibiotics"

I got the rodentologist round 2 days later and she listened to his chest and said that his lungs were affected and that he needed an urgent diuretic to clear them. Phoned the vet and she was very argumentative that the rodentologist was not a vet and how could the rodentologist have the skills to diagnose this! When i said that he must get the diuretic and that I would take him in again to get it, she said that they were too busy! I was nearly in tears. I insisted on taking him that evening, no matter how long it would take for me to wait.

I took him in and I was seen by another vet, not the one who had spoken to me on the phone. He examined Captain for ages and said that his lungs were indeed affected, in fact one had solidified and that this was a progressive disease. It was too late to do anything. He seemed rather sheepish in fact. I think he knew that the proper action had not been taken. Captain was PTS and I feel so upset and so angry with vets. I knew that Captain had started to suffer withthe breathing issues and I could not bear to put him through more pain. In fact, had the rodentologist not come round and informed me of the lung involvement, it is likely that Captain would have suffered a very painful end. The vet said that he would have passed away during the weekend at home and in true discomfort.

They don't seem to recognise that these are not just "pocket pets" which can be replaced easily. I loved "The Captain" dearly. :'(

I'm so sorry to hear about Captain... :(

Sounds like you two went through a lot together to try and get him better. Poor little man. You tried your very best though ;) vets like that make the whole situation even more stressful. I feel so sorry for you that you had that experience....

RIP little Captain 0:)

Thinking of you....

So sorry to hear about Captain. More needs to be done. Yes, our pets aren't dogs or cats but we have them for 5 yrars plus in some cases and they are dear to us.

As well as coping with the grief thre is the added stress of a hopeless vet. At least Captain is no longer suffering.

Sending hugs,

Louise and pigguns
x

Oh Love this is so not fair, you've tried your damdest, i'm sorry for you :'( :'(
RIP Captain :'( :'( :'( run free little fella, lots of mates for you to play with... 0:)
Hugs for you love, we're thinking of you, take care, remember we're hear for you all of us :'( :'( :'( :'(
Dam i was hoping to hear good news from you, what a little trooper he was bless him :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

That is so sad, I'm so sorry. Poor little fella. :'(

At least you got to love him for a little bit. 0:)

RIP Captain. :smitten:
HUGS to you.

Sorry to hear about this. Please believe there are listening vets out there- hard to find sometimes but out there :) I hope you find one for next time you need one or perhaps this one will listen if you give him another chance ::)

really could do with some vets that specialize in the little animals, I love cats and dogs but surely all animal life is the same?

I'm so very very sorry. Captain was a gorgeous guinea and very brave. He will be greatly missed.

Sleep well darling xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back