• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Captain has a new lump

• Thread starter Thread starter boysmum
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

boysmum

I've been reading Glynis's post re Duke's lump as this is what my boy Captain had at the beginning of the year. I've been checking his jaw every few days since that horrible op and he has been fine .....until last night. Couldn't believe it. I ran my fingers over his jaw, quite confident that it would be still smooth and it wasn't.......there was another lump forming, this time on the opposite side of the orginal abscess area.

We've got a vet appt tonight. I am hoping that it is not a dreaded abscess again. He's acting fine and eating as normal.

I am expecting an operation and the usual drainage routine. Here we go again.

WHy oh why do our little cuties get these horrible things?

I was thinking back to when we had piggies as kids (about 30 odd years ago) and they never had any of these ailments. We had six and they all lived to about 5 years with no vet visits at all! Yet it seems pretty common these days. Maybe some weird evolution strain going on. :'(

yes its very true I've had piggys for over 30 years and you are right we didn't use to have teeth problems as much or indeed abcesses, would be interesting to read an old book on how to look after pigs and see what we are doing differently maybe its the food or the way we pamper them?? be nice to find out
let us know how you get on at the vets I hope Captains lump is nothing serious :smitten:

Oh poor little Captain :'( crossing our paws for you that it's not the dreaded abscess :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:
These are for you little man :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
<hugs> love i know just how you feel :'(

Thanks for all your words.

His lump seems to have moved more over to his front cheek rather than on the jawline. It's hard.

I'm here at work. My partner is picking Captain up from home and then coming past the office with him to pick me up and go to the vet's. My colleagues are laughing as I have prepared a "picnic" for Captain in the event that the vet decides to keep him overnight to operate first thing in the morning. I've got a little tub of his favourite veggies chilling in the office fridge. I had visions of Captain staying overnight at the surgery with no fresh veg, feeling scared and lonely. Ahh! Breaks my heart. And what's worse, he is very happy and frisky at the moment, but I know he will be sore after his surgery and will feel rotten with the antibiotics. A case of cruel to be kind I suppose.

Gynis, hope Duke is feeling better. Are boars more susceptible to abscesses than sows?

boysmum said:
Are boars more susceptible to abscesses than sows?

awwwwww.. stupid colleagues :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

I don't think it's more of a boar problem, than it is with sows. Icey has had 4 removed (ok, 3 were fatty lumps). One big abscess. At the moment Tiny still has her lump - which is not a problem until it ever bursts

Michellemuffin♥ said:
yes its very true I've had piggys for over 30 years and you are right we didn't use to have teeth problems as much or indeed abcesses, would be interesting to read an old book on how to look after pigs and see what we are doing differently maybe its the food or the way we pamper them?? be nice to find out
let us know how you get on at the vets I hope Captains lump is nothing serious :smitten:

30 years ago my pigs had a totally different diet, their main diet was grass and any other forage/herbage I could find. Nothing got done until I had 'got grass' for the next day, I would walk for ages to fill up my box- rain or shine (the rain probably wasn't a good idea...). My bedding came from the stables and they got whatever was going spare, usually a lot of straw and some hay for them to eat. Dry food was Bran and Oats, but when it was gone it was gone until the end of the wheek. In the winter I bought a pound of maize to mix in with this.

One summer I grew Spinach for them which regrew a couple of summers afterwards and they had any garden 'waste' like cabbage leaves and lettuces that had bolted, but no other veg. I don't think they ever had fruit- they never got cystitis or bladder probs either. I used to bath them on the odd occasion because they were shown (mostly in the pet sections, and the p/breds were Abbys so bad idea to bath them if you wanted to win ::) ) Most if not all my problems were skin ones, I think mites, possibly some fungal but I just used to treat them with some dip.

Never used woodshavings because the horses didn't have them, usually kept a trio in an outside hutch and kept guineas with buns (usually the single males).

Not sure what that proves, but I know Urinary Tract infections were less common in my previous guins, I don't remember any.

Sorry for pignapping this thread but like Michelle it interests me too :)

Most if not all my problems were skin ones, I think mites, possibly some fungal but I just used to treat them with some dip.

was this dip a a pink liquid that stank you had to dip them in it leave it on them for half an hour wash off then repeat , I've got the name in the shed will look it up
tommorow , I agree my pigs diet was a lot different and I had buns as well they had boiled potatoe skins mixed with bran, pigs had mostly grass and dandelions and the odd cabbage leaf etc, No fruit and to be honest mine rarely have it now the odd apple or banana but as a treat mine never had cystitas or bladder probs either even today thats a rare occasion for my pigs so maybe fruit has a part to play , mine use to sleep on straw /hay mix
I'm def going to look up some old piggy keeping books and read where we went wrong becasue I can honestly say apart from skin ailments my pigs were def more healthy years ago,

:) Pinky brown, that came in a powder form for you to make up. One of my pens of pigs have been put on a grass and sunflower sprout diet, I've just cut out all their dry food which wasn't too difficult because they weren't that fond of it anyway. They'll get some oats and bran occasionaly, but bran is high in Phosphorus and not good to give too often (I think thats right, I know it shouldn't be given too often).

These days I'm just lazy, its easier to go down to Waitrose/Sainburys/the market and get veg than to go to the river with a bin bag.

Have made a new thread (Grass and Herbage versus Veg N Fruit) in the food section (though it may have been better in General ::) ) to continue the chat regarding diet :)

I am expecting an operation and the usual drainage routine. Here we go again.

WHy oh why do our little cuties get these horrible things?

I was thinking back to when we had piggies as kids (about 30 odd years ago) and they never had any of these ailments. We had six and they all lived to about 5 years with no vet visits at all! Yet it seems pretty common these days. Maybe some weird evolution strain going on. Cry

Tell me about it! Ive had nothing but health problems from mine since day one! >:(

It's very odd. :-\

Captain was seen on Friday. I was holding up on my shoulder whilst waiting in the vet reception and an old lady who was sitting nearby commented on how quiet my "black labrador puppy" was being! Sweet. I turned Captain around to show her him properly and she was amazed "My Goodness, what is that?" Captain is a big boy (1.3 kilos).

Anyway, it is indeed an abscess. However, we seem to have caught it in time and the vet palpated his cheek with a cotton swab and all this pus came out. He didn't flinch at all. She bathed it with some solution and gave me instructions on how to do this for the next 5 days. He is on Septrim and Probiotics too. We've been squeezing him every night and got a little pus and then blood last night. THe lump has gone down and I can just feel the thick capsule lining now.

The only thing that worries me is that we are only squeezing the pus out. THis time we are not flushing it, unlike last time when the wound was on the outside. The vet said that the cotton bud will wipe away the pus. Should I be syringing in some solution of sorts to flush out any nasty bits? If so, what shoud I use as it is going directly into his mouth?

He is going back tomorrow for a check. The vet hopes that it will not be necessary to operate.

He is such a good boy, he tolerates all this poking about with no biting. I find it easier if I wet the cotton bud, the dry cotton bud seemed to upset him as he was spitting it out. He quite likes the wet cotton bud.

oh darling boy :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

sending him so much love and healing :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Sorry, meant to add that the exit hole for his pus in on the inside of his mouth.

Awwwwwwwww Captain you brave brave fella :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
I don't think i'd syringe anything into his mouth, he'd not be too impressed with that :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:
Chat to your vet, sounds like they know what they're doing O0
Hugs for you and piggie kisses for little ;) Captain, come on boy get rid of that nasty (^)*%*%%*^) abscess :tickedoff:
Kisses from me to you boy :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks for your lovely words about Duke, much appreciated :smitten:

Poor Captain!

Update is that he had his abscess drained and lanced on Monday. It is in his cheek and not near his jaw. My vet has given me a bag of saline and a syringe to flush it every day. I've been doing this since MOnday and seem to manage okay, except when the wound hole has scabbed over. He hates getting it removed.

I have been soaking it with warm cotton wool to loosen the scab then flushing it. THing is, it is still a big lump. We massage and squeeze it before we flush but doesn't seem to be going down. THe flushing brings out pus and blood so it is entering the site.

HE is on Septrim and Probiotics twice a day. I wondered if there was anything I could put on the wound to prevent it scabbing. I thought about some sort of lubrication gel. Would this work? And is there anything else I can do to reduce the lump apart from what I am already doing? He is back to the vet on Friday for a check.

That aside, he is still eating and seems unbothered by his swollen cheek.

Poor boy, he is being very brave. Could you use a dab of vaseline on the wound to stop it scabbing over I wonder? Anyone?

I think maybe Baytril would be better than Septrin and possibly,dilute Hibitane might be better than saline to backflush.You could try either Kamilosan cream or Calendula cream to soften the scab.Neither are harmful if ingested.The swelling caused by an abcess can take a while to go down,and in a few cases the area can remain slightly swollen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back