Can we use them for the Compost Bin?

• Thread starter Thread starter pigsdad
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pigsdad

Hi Everybody

We have a large Compost Bin in our back garden, and up until now we haven't used any of the used hay, newspaper or easibed and guinea Pig Poo's, and was just wondering if anyone else does put the contents from the hutches in the Compost Bin once they have cleaned them out?

Please help as i don't want to hinder my composting, and would rather use it there than put it in my bin! 98) :smitten:
Thank you for reading

Pigsdad

I think it is suitable for composting But the wet newspaper might be a problem.

oooh I'm not sure... I was wondering that. I think the hay might take a while to break down... some strands are so think (and almost 'plastic' like) - especially from timothy hay.

I'm in Fife and I'm allowed to put the used hay in my garden bin. The council uses this for composting and they're quite picky about what goes in it, but this is allowed. I put the stinky newspaper in the household bin though - not sure my binmen would appreciate the smell on paper day!

I put pellets only in my compost bins.I tried the hay but it does not seem to mulch down very well.

pigsdad, hutch waste is a compost excelerent and highly recommended for composting, it actually speeds up the composting process. layers of newspaper and hay etc help keep it loose and aerated rather than a solid lump. i've dumped tons in mine over the years and never managed to fill it. also water the contents regularly O0 also easibed is 100% compostable

hi, our council don't allow the newspaper to be composted, So when I clean out I seperate the newspaper and put that in the normal rubbish, i do put poops, hay and megazorb in the compost recycling bin though.

maisy, neither do our council, that's why i make my own compost at the bottom of the garden in one of those things that looks like a darlec :D

Thanks poodle-pigs :smitten: :smitten:, That is what we have in the garden too, and as i say we put our veggies, egg shells, carboard rolls, grass cuttings etc.., but hadn't contemplated the waste from the hutches, so will start adding them. Where we live our council are rubbish 98) ;D ;D :smitten:(sorry no pun intented), they expect you to go to the local recycling units on the outskirts of town!, so hence the reason why i purchased a Darlec style Compost Bin, got to do your bit and all that! :smitten:

Yes, as guinea pigs are veggie then its fine, i put the hay in and wood shavings when i use them.

I put everything from the hutch into the compsot bin even the shavings.
With a lot of shavings you might need to wet the bin now and again as they might make it too dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back