• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

can piggies catch human colds??

• Thread starter Thread starter pampered pigs
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pampered pigs

Hi everyone, silly question i know but my piggies love their snuggles and i really do not want them to get ill !
It seems a silly question but someone has said they cant :-\
I'm staying away at the min but its hard :'(

Yes they can! It is best not to handle them while you have a cold. They could end up with an upper respitory infection, so best safe not sorry :)

I thought it depended on the nature of the cold. Whether it was bacterial or viral? Or are they all the same in terms of contracting illness from human to pig. Emily has another cold, nothing major but I won't let her hold Cuzzy until it has gone.

well I'm not sure what sort of cold is it lol but I'm staying away :( just got the usall sniffles and blocked nose
its so hard when they are up the front of the cage sqeaking at me

I dont think we can really know ourselves wether it is bacterial or viral, so i wouldnt take any chances :)

Oh I wouldn't take a chance either. It's just I suffer with rhinitis and that makes me bunged up in the nasal passageways but its not a cold. Emily had an ear infection so stayed away from thee pigs. Bacteria is what we take antibiotics for viral well there is nowt we can do for that other than lemsip! :)

I was just curious. :)

I'm on day and night nurse now lol..................i need my piggies loving :smitten:
dam cold lol

I did this at uni the other day and my lecturer said that as much as it hasn't be proven he see a lot of animals will cold like symptoms and it is normally around the same time their owners have had a cold. So i would say they can, however, it depend upon the Bactria etc.

Colds and flue are viral ,and gps can get a respiritory infection from them but it differs from the human cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back