Can Oxbow supplements have flavor added to them?

fantomeadhesif

New Born Pup
Reaction score
One of my guinea pigs is off of the vitamin C supplement but he needs to have it. Is there a way I can add flavors he likes to them so that he'll eat it again, or is that impossible or not safe for them?

I managed to train one of my pigs to eat them when she didn’t like them by giving her a tiny bit when she was hungry and expecting something else. She would take it and eat it before she realised what it was, eventually she got used to them and now get excited for it! I do find the whole tablet in one go is almost too much so instead give half a tablet twice a day.
Another method would be to wipe one of his favourite fruits or vegetables (a juicy or strongly scented one would probably work best, like blueberries) on the edge of the tablet to encourage him to take a nibble.

You could just break them up and put them in pellets. They won’t eat it if it is moist, maybe if you add and mushed fruit onto it. Do they really need the supplement? I don’t give mine any of these treats. Fresh veggies are really all you need. If you look in your pellet ingredients they many already have vitamin C in them. It’s ascorbic acid.

You could just break them up and put them in pellets. They won’t eat it if it is moist, maybe if you add and mushed fruit onto it. Do they really need the supplement? I don’t give mine any of these treats. Fresh veggies are really all you need. If you look in your pellet ingredients they many already have vitamin C in them. It’s ascorbic acid.
Good point. 👍If their diet is correct there is no need for additional vitamin c supplementation of any kind. If a guinea pig is unwell or in any other kind of weakened state (poor diet, recovering from illness, recovering from neglect) they can benefit from a vitamin c supplement as it is good for the immune system. The oxbow tablets are strange, they are so compact that they don’t really absorb moisture and go soggy the same way a pellet would so wiping a bit of juice on one won’t make it go soggy, maybe just softer on the surface.

Is there a medical reason diagnosed by a vet as to why he has to have it?

Most owners will never routinely supplement. They get all they needs from a good balanced diet so there is no need for supplements. Vitamin c given over and above their needs is simply excreted in the urine so if your piggy has a good diet and is still being supplemented you are pretty much wasting your time and money on supplements.
Additionally, long term supplementation above needs can cause health problems. Their body gets used to abnormally high amounts of vit c and if that level then drops it can cause scurvy even if the level would be considered within normal range to any other piggy.

Vitamin c supplements should only be given in a short course of two weeks during a period of illness to boost the immune system, and then stopped.

Is there a medical reason diagnosed by a vet as to why he has to have it?

Most owners will never routinely supplement. They get all they needs from a good balanced diet so there is no need for supplements. Vitamin c given over and above their needs is simply excreted in the urine so if your piggy has a good diet and is still being supplemented you are pretty much wasting your time and money on supplements.
Additionally, long term supplementation above needs can cause health problems. Their body gets used to abnormally high amounts of vit c and if that level then drops it can cause scurvy even if the level would be considered within normal range to any other piggy.

Vitamin c supplements should only be given in a short course of two weeks during a period of illness to boost the immune system, and then stopped.
He's old (5+ years old, vet said he's at least 5 but could be older) and has some stomach issues, and when he went to the vet for not peeing much they said he had crystals in his urine. They recommended removing pellets from his diet entirely. He doesn't eat as much as he used to, which the vet said is because he's old and not because he's sick, and said we could use vitamin C supplements occasionally (half of one every 2-3 days) to make sure he's getting everything he needs based on the fact that he was lethargic and such paired with him eating less than he used to. His energy did seem to improve when he was eating them

Edit: also I have been using a syringe to give him water since he also doesn't drink as much and have been helping him to exercise, was recommended based on the crystals in his urine and not peeing much. He usually doesn't move around a lot because of arthritis

Ok so he isn’t getting a lot of supplements then.

What are his stomach issues?
What veg do you give him daily?
Is he eating enough to maintain his weight? This is key.

My piggies (two of whom are also over 5 years of age now) don’t get pellets much. They get plenty of veg and grass instead so almost all their vit c is coming from that.

It’s good to give plenty of veg and encourage drinking if there are crystals in his urine - to encourage the bladder to flush through.

Is he on pain meds for arthritis?

Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

Ok so he isn’t getting a lot of supplements then.

What are his stomach issues?
What veg do you give him daily?
Is he eating enough to maintain his weight? This is key.

My piggies (two of whom are also over 5 years of age now) don’t get pellets much. They get plenty of veg and grass instead so almost all their vit c is coming from that.

It’s good to give plenty of veg and encourage drinking if there are crystals in his urine - to encourage the bladder to flush through.

Is he on pain meds for arthritis?

Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links
He is maintaining his weight! He's on Meloxicam 0.3 twice daily, Gabapentin 0.3 once daily, and he's on a probiotic to keep his gut moving. I guess it's less stomach issues and more gut movement issues, he doesn't move around enough to keep his gut moving properly and that's another reason I'm getting him to exercise

He is maintaining his weight! He's on Meloxicam 0.3 twice daily, Gabapentin 0.3 once daily, and he's on a probiotic to keep his gut moving. I guess it's less stomach issues and more gut movement issues, he doesn't move around enough to keep his gut moving properly and that's another reason I'm getting him to exercise

That’s good he is maintaining his weight. It means he is eating enough.
Plenty of hay fibre is what helps keep the gut moving. The probiotics can help keep the gut bacteria in good form. If he has digestive issues, then poop soup from a healthy companion can also be given (it can be more effective than commercial probiotics).
Exercise is obviously very important, particularly if you mean he is struggling with impaction, so it is good he is on a good amount of painkillers.

If he has a good variety of veg ensuring they are high vit c veg and access to some fresh grass, then if he will not take the vit c tablet, i would not worry.

Back