• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Can my guinea pig catch a cold from me?

Kattee25

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’m not sure if it’s a cold or what it is but I’ve had a cough, runny nose, sore throat for the past 4 days so has everyone else in my house. Only thing I’m sure of is it’s not covid or pneumonia. With everyone coughing in the house it worried me they might get sick in general. As of right now they’re okay not showing any symptoms eating, drinking, running around. I try to be as careful as I can washing my hands keeping their cage cleaned and blankets changed and I’m the only one who takes care of them but it slipped my mind and I picked my piggies up and clipped their nails today and was all in their face so i feel I was definitely around them more than I should be right now. What are the chances they’ll get sick from me? I’d feel terrible and I’m planning on taking them to the vet once I’m not sick anyways for a yearly checkup because it’s about that time. Will I be okay to wait until then to take them? Or did I just get them sick by doing that?

They can’t catch colds and don’t suffer from ‘colds’. Just do the usual hygiene routine of washing hands etc. Hope you feel better soon.

They can’t catch colds and don’t suffer from ‘colds’. Just do the usual hygiene routine of washing hands etc. Hope you feel better soon.
Okay thank you, I was worried that it might actually be a respiratory infection I have because as I said they only tested me for covid and pneumonia. Online it’s mixed saying they can catch things from humans than one website says they can’t so that’s why I was worried.

I’m not sure if it’s a cold or what it is but I’ve had a cough, runny nose, sore throat for the past 4 days so has everyone else in my house. Only thing I’m sure of is it’s not covid or pneumonia. With everyone coughing in the house it worried me they might get sick in general. As of right now they’re okay not showing any symptoms eating, drinking, running around. I try to be as careful as I can washing my hands keeping their cage cleaned and blankets changed and I’m the only one who takes care of them but it slipped my mind and I picked my piggies up and clipped their nails today and was all in their face so i feel I was definitely around them more than I should be right now. What are the chances they’ll get sick from me? I’d feel terrible and I’m planning on taking them to the vet once I’m not sick anyways for a yearly checkup because it’s about that time. Will I be okay to wait until then to take them? Or did I just get them sick by doing that?

Hi!

Guinea pigs don't usually catch a viral cold from humans. You still want to use sensible hygiene measures with them, though.
You can find more information on which issues can transmit and what measures you should take if you are not well in this link here: Human Colds/flu And Tummy Bug Advice

Back