Can I use this hay?

Rebecca01

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all
When my Guinea pigs got lice weeks back, I binned the open shavings and removed the open , but basically full bag of hay. I haven’t binned the jay yet, but rather left the bag in the cupboard.
My question really is- if lice had contaminated this hay and that’s how they got on my piggies , would it be OK to use now weeks down the line? (although my mum thinks the pigs came to me with lice, we can’t be sure) it’s been almost six weeks as the girls are having their last treatment tomorrow- or should I still just bin it?

Lice don’t tend to come with hay (that’s hay mites) so it is rather more likely the piggies did come to you with lice - does the timeline fit? Did you get them from a breeder or pet shop?

Lice don’t tend to come with hay (that’s hay mites) so it is rather more likely the piggies did come to you with lice - does the timeline fit? Did you get them from a breeder or pet shop?
I got them from a breeder- I’d had them for a few weeks when I noticed the lice and it was quite a lot of lice!

Hi all
When my Guinea pigs got lice weeks back, I binned the open shavings and removed the open , but basically full bag of hay. I haven’t binned the jay yet, but rather left the bag in the cupboard.
My question really is- if lice had contaminated this hay and that’s how they got on my piggies , would it be OK to use now weeks down the line? (although my mum thinks the pigs came to me with lice, we can’t be sure) it’s been almost six weeks as the girls are having their last treatment tomorrow- or should I still just bin it?
Four weeks* I can’t do maths😂

Back