Can I Tell What Age Roughly By Weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank288

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I have no idea what age my 2 new pigs I rescued are. I was told they are around 9 weeks old but I am 100% sure that they are much older than that. They don't seem small enough in size to be only 9 weeks old.

I weighed them yesterday and the girl was 649g and the boy was 763g.

Any rough ideas what age they are? I know I will never know exactly.
Will also post pics underneath.

Mine vary a lot in size, but when I got Ginger from Pets at Home they said she was 10 weeks old but I weighed her two weeks later when i realised you should weigh them weekly and she only weighed 250grams at 12 weeks. I assume they were wrong with her date of birth, although she seems to be a very petite guinea.

I also have a guinea who is supposedly around 6 months old but she weighs over 950g.

I also have a guinea who is supposedly around 6 months old but she weighs over 950g.
I have a full grown guinea pig who is only 980g and she is a year and a half, she is really really small though.

I also have a two year old rescue guinea who is 1280g and has been around that weight since I got her.

Not very accurately I don't think, that seenms quite heavy to me as I have a year old girl who is around his weight !

They do look larger than 9 weeks to me, but it can be hard to tell. There are such a wide range of normal weights (at one point I had two same-age girls- one was about twice the weight of the other. One was just a very small-boned, tiny girl, the other was a big girl with a big bone structure!) I would keep an eye to see when they stop growing and the weight normalizes and then consider that something around 9 months to a year (mine were mostly full-grown by about 9 months and hit typical adult weight by a year, but others may have different experiences.)

My 13 week old sow weighs 765gms so I think she might be a bit older - Humphrey my baby boar is now 5 1/2 weeks and weighs 355gms - he has put on since last week

It really varies to be honest! I have two young boars, Casper is big for his age and Ronan is tiny... both have been deemed to be healthy by the vet though. Here's their weights at 6 weeks.

Caspar: 445g

Ronan: 198g

So honestly weight isn't that easy to judge age off but generally I would say that they are older. More likely closer to 4 months old than 2 months in my opinion... but again hard to say. Bear in mind that my Caspar is 500g now and almost 8 weeks but considered to be huge for his age according to an experienced guinea vet if that's anything to go by. Hope this helped x

Hard to say, guinea pig weight is such a complex thing! My boys are 7 months old, one weighs 900g the other is over 1kg. But your two are absolutely gorgeous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back