Can I isolate new guinea pig in same room?

Pee&Oh

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a bereaved boar and I found a local rescue that has solo males in need of a home.
I'm a bit concerned as they aren't in the best conditions and were sneezing when I saw them, but that makes me want to rescue one of them even more!
The rescue said it was allergies from the shavings, but I can't be sure (and I use fleece for mine).
If I rescue one to attempt to bond with mine, can I isolate/quarantine the new one in the same room as my current guy?
Please note: I can accommodate the second one by himself if they don't bond.
I just feel so bad for these boars, but I don't want to make my current guy sick.

thanks so much,
Andrea

Hi there,

I have a bereaved boar and I found a local rescue that has solo males in need of a home.
I'm a bit concerned as they aren't in the best conditions and were sneezing when I saw them, but that makes me want to rescue one of them even more!
The rescue said it was allergies from the shavings, but I can't be sure (and I use fleece for mine).
If I rescue one to attempt to bond with mine, can I isolate/quarantine the new one in the same room as my current guy?
I just feel so bad for these boars, but I don't want to make my current guy sick.

thanks so much,
Andrea
Well done for taking on a friend for your bereaved boar.
It certainly sounds like the new piggy will be in a much better place with you.

However given that he won't be coming from the best circumstances I would not quarantine him in the same room as your current boy - the last thing you need is 2 sick piggies.

I would keep him in a different room for 2 weeks and make sure you follow good hygiene between handling them (always handle your own boy first to minimise the risk of transferring any possible illnesses, wash hands well, etc.)

:agr: . It would not be advisable to keep him in the same room as your own piggy during the quarantine period.

@Swissgreys Aww thanks so much for the quick reply!
I will have to strategize with the family...I think the only place I could offer is the kitchen, as my sunroom is too cold in my opinion!
I spend a lot of time in the current room with my guy - would the new one feel very disoriented if he were alone too much?

Hi there,

thanks so much,
Andrea
Hi

Sadly, it doesn't sound like a good welfare standard rescue and a potential untreated respiratory infection which can be transferred by aerosols. :(
Please have your new boys vet checked straight after arrival and quarantine them in a different room if at all possible. Quarantining premises should be always in a different room. Any good rescues are very, very careful about minimising any direct contact between the two section - including two different sets of cleaning implements and medication and aprons etc...

Make sure that you feed, handle and clean your boy and his cage first before you deal with any ill or quarantining piggies and that you wash your hands thoroughly in between to minimise the risk of carrying anything across. The hygiene rules in the guide below also apply to quarantining.
Contagion - Inter-species transmission and pet care during owner illness/pregnancy (incl. Covid)
PS: As long as your new boy can still hear the other, he won't feel totally lonely but 2-3 weeks of quarantine and treatment are a lot less of a headache compared to dealing with two ill piggies.

Back