Can I Cut All Of It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarnivalPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
With the hot weather, the girls are lying about quite a bit and lazing by the waterbottle. It must be the equivalent of wearing a snow coat, and I've already trimmed their stomachs. They're long haired, can I cut to the point they're short haired? They'll probably look a sight until it grows back if I don't style it amazingly but it's better than the heat. Would they get URIs etc easier if they're unused to such a short coat?

@Elisabeth I won't do anything drastic without your permission :))

Yes, it's no problem. I cut my long haired piggies short over the summer to make them more comfortable - they don't look as pretty but at least they don't feel the heat so much. Even after years of practice they look pretty rubbish when I've finished but after few days it doesn't look as bad!

I want to do this too, how do you find the best and quickest way to cut them ? I have been using scissors but its quite
time consuming as ones hair is very thick ... so I have purchased a grooming shaver. I cant use the comb on themas it seems
to pull at their hair slightly which makes them squeal ... so I still put my first an second finger sectioning their hair and just shave
over my fingers so there is still the barrier between them and the shaver . but this means that I'm not getting too close to get
lots off there is still a good 2 inches left

Yes, it's no problem. I cut my long haired piggies short over the summer to make them more comfortable - they don't look as pretty but at least they don't feel the heat so much. Even after years of practice they look pretty rubbish when I've finished but after few days it doesn't look as bad!
@Kit06 ..... OMG the guinea on your profile ... how gorg is that colour , never seen that shade before , what are they called and how do you keep their coat sooo lovely

I want to do this too, how do you find the best and quickest way to cut them ? I have been using scissors but its quite
time consuming as ones hair is very thick ... so I have purchased a grooming shaver. I cant use the comb on themas it seems
to pull at their hair slightly which makes them squeal ... so I still put my first an second finger sectioning their hair and just shave
over my fingers so there is still the barrier between them and the shaver . but this means that I'm not getting too close to get
lots off there is still a good 2 inches left
I use the scissors from P@H labelled under the groom room. For the first weeks/month it worked quite well, but now they continuously lock and are quite stiff n blunt, so I'm considering the ones mentioned in this thread Silvercrest (lidl) Beard Trimmer
There are many varieties of combs and brushes, I use a comb and a brush, both from HomeBargains. These are temporary, but they do the job as long as you don't neglect daily grooming and get tangles

@Kit06 ..... OMG the guinea on your profile ... how gorg is that colour , never seen that shade before , what are they called and how do you keep their coat sooo lovely
He's a peruvian, lilac white and tan. He gets regular haircuts but not quite as drastic as the Lunks as his hair is finer (the Lunks are like woolly mammoths and really feel the heat). I have washed him in Gorgeous Guineas Posh n Go but to be honest not very often!

He's a peruvian, lilac white and tan. He gets regular haircuts but not quite as drastic as the Lunks as his hair is finer (the Lunks are like woolly mammoths and really feel the heat). I have washed him in Gorgeous Guineas Posh n Go but to be honest not very often!
Gorgeous too...My two are peruvians too but I do keep their hair A ltitle shorter as they hate me brushing them so it's a short bum cut and a trim every 2 to 3 weeks.

I just tried a lady's bikini trimmer to cut the piggies hair. It worked brilliantly! I figured if it's safe for our delicate bits, it would be safe for them lol.
They jumped a bit at the noise when I first put it on, but soon settled down. It's so much easier and quicker than scissors.
They have got a treat of watermelon for being good girls.

Interesting, I had to use an electronic clipper since Peppa was stressing out to the extreme with my normal non electronic ones. They work fairly well but take a bit of time as I barely use electronic ones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back