Can I chop up a hay that’s too stalky?

Spaniel

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I ordered a new timothy hay to try and it’s nice but it’s quite stalky. Would it still be an eye poke risk if I chopped it up into small strands and mixed it into the meadow hay? :)

I've got some the same, which is a problem with my old arthritic boys as they get it caught round their legs. I cut it up and put a small handful in a flat pile on the fleece as a treat. I wouldn't mix it with their meadow hay because they burrow and it could pose a problem with their eyes. I feed meadow hay as their main hay.

This is the one I'm having problems with too. They do eat some of it but there is a lot of waste, they love the seed heads though! I shan't buy anymore of this one when it's finished. I think it's a good hay for rabbits but too stalky for most piggies, except the Goblins of course!
Just tried Little Hay Co. 2nd cut timothy, they love it, hardly a strand left. Horribly expensive though. It would be cheaper for me to get the Burgess timothy in P at H at £6.50 a bag. They do like that, it's easier to store and it's a 15 minute walk each way to go and get it. Who knew hay could be so difficult!

This is the one I'm having problems with too. They do eat some of it but there is a lot of waste, they love the seed heads though! I shan't buy anymore of this one when it's finished. I think it's a good hay for rabbits but too stalky for most piggies, except the Goblins of course!
Just tried Little Hay Co. 2nd cut timothy, they love it, hardly a strand left. Horribly expensive though. It would be cheaper for me to get the Burgess timothy in P at H at £6.50 a bag. They do like that, it's easier to store and it's a 15 minute walk each way to go and get it. Who knew hay could be so difficult!
I agree, thought it’d be nice for rabbits.

Our house resembles a barn at the moment trying to find a hay that Perry will fully approve! Fussy little guy he is, trying to bankrupt us :))

I know the feeling. I'm trying to find a hay that all six will eat well.
Good luck!

It’s stressful. Perry isn’t eating anywhere near enough hay and it’s worrying. I’ve had to give him recovery food to top him up. Got another hay coming tomorrow so I really hope he’ll eat it otherwise I’m really going to panic.

Back to our usual Small Pet Select 2nd cut timothy and thankfully he’s eating much more. Phew.

I ordered it at 12pm yesterday, got the dispatched email at 2pm and it arrived at 11am this morning! Brilliant. Also had enough points for £20 off so 👍

Normally I'd say if it's stalky I'd take it (and pay whatever) but I have two 10kg boxes here as it is and I'm running out of room. They've had that before I'm pretty sure, and it went down a treat.

I'm constantly reading about piggies being fussy with the hay. Is it something they develop when older or am I just lucky?

I'm constantly reading about piggies being fussy with the hay. Is it something they develop when older or am I just lucky?

Comet and Blitzen never cared, they'd eat any hay they were given. The goblins are the first I've had although at least it's easy to tell what they will and won't like.

I've never had a problem like this before. I think it's because they had too much of a good thing with haybox which was lovely for years, when it went off we had a problem! They do eat most hay I offer but not as much, there's a lot of waste. With Timmy having a slightly misaligned molar I need him to eat a lot of hay to avoid vet treatment and obviously I'd rather not be throwing so much away!

Back