Can I Bring My Outdoor Piggies In For Cuddles During Winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayleyface

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have just recently moved house and my indoor girls have now become permanent outdoor residents. A family friend has kindly pimped out and donated an amazing hutch for them so I'm sure they'll be lovely and snuggly all winter. What I want to know is will I still be able to bring my piggies in for regular cuggles as it gets colder outside or will I have to brave the freezing cold to spend time with them? I also have a bun who has always been outside and I've brought him in for hours at a time without any problems but I understand that he can fare the cold weather better than pigs.

Thank you x

I have just recently moved house and my indoor girls have now become permanent outdoor residents. A family friend has kindly pimped out and donated an amazing hutch for them so I'm sure they'll be lovely and snuggly all winter. What I want to know is will I still be able to bring my piggies in for regular cuggles as it gets colder outside or will I have to brave the freezing cold to spend time with them? I also have a bun who has always been outside and I've brought him in for hours at a time without any problems but I understand that he can fare the cold weather better than pigs.

Thank you x

If you need help with tips on how to best insulate the hutch for the winter, please ask for more information in our housing section.

it would be good not to bring your piggies into a fully heated room from outdoors for any length of time. Guinea pigs are not very good at adjusting to major temperature jumps quickly. it would be better if you interacted with them in a room that is closer to the average hutch temperature - which should not be freezing cold either!

Should I avoid bathing them in cold weather as well? I have very smelly pigs at the moment desperate for a wash.

Should I avoid bathing them in cold weather as well? I have very smelly pigs at the moment desperate for a wash.

I would give them bum baths or if absolutely necessary full baths in hand warm water and always make sure that they are thoroughly dry before they go out again. ;)

My girls live outside and I often bring them in for cuddles but no more than an hour at a time and only in the morning so that its still warmish outside when I pop them back out and they have time to adjust before the cold night hits.

And if I have them in a blanket inside I leave the blanket in the hutch with them so that they still have the warmth of that for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back