Can guinea pigs play with koosh balls?

ZenexPiggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As the title says, can guinea pigs play with koosh balls?

I'd asume not since they are very "tangly" and they coukd choke on them.

Hi

The answer is NO. Koosh balls are not safe for guinea pigs. They will eat the strings and not play with the balls.

I don't have experience, but what about something like this? It's paper, so it's safe and I can imagine they will have a lot of fun with it.

Attachments

• 26f37a8d333c9f0d9c675b13a0652a34.webp
    26f37a8d333c9f0d9c675b13a0652a34.webp
    34.1 KB · Views: 8
How about the little treat balls. I put pellets inside them and they roll the ball to get the pellets out. Remember that pellets should only be a maximum of 1 tablespoon each per day.

The cardboard balls filled with your piggies favourite food are always a good option. They provide feed and enrichment, if you look online there a many things you can do with cardboard for your pigs you just have to be careful it doesn’t have any labels or tape etc like if you were using a packaging box from a delivery.
Things like cereal boxs etc i wouldn’t recommend at all as they are covered with print and chemicals, you are just looking for plain jane cardboard.

One guinea pig item i will always stand by is willow tunnels. Basically a tunnel made out of thin wood. Was recommended to me after one of my pigs was having some dental issues. Works great and never fails to give my pigs something to do.

Again a big no the the balls you suggested, guinea pigs aren’t really the type to ‘play’ with items, especially mine are more likely to destroy and chew on. Also i would like to add alot of the time my piggies are their own entertainment, place a pile of hay in the middle and you have hours of entertainment for them and you!

Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

You may also find this thread helpful in case you haven’t already had a look!

I find a loo roll filled with hay or a cardboard box with two holes cut out keeps them busy 😁

I don't have experience, but what about something like this? It's paper, so it's safe and I can imagine they will have a lot of fun with it.

Those cardboard rings are fine, especially if you fill them with a little hay and make your piggies work to get at it; and as long as you ensure that they are not eating too much cardboard or brown paper all the time. I can cause blockages in the gut.
But please do not get hung up too much on the idea of toys - it is a human and not a guinea concept. Predators like cats or dogs need to practice hunting and fighting, but guinea pigs as prey animals do not have the need. They rather like to destroy things if possible so cheap, simple things are actually best.

Space for running and especially food are the two big triggers for enrichment as guinea pigs don't really play as such apart from some playing a kind of tag with each other or from exploring; guinea pigs discover the world by nibbling. Rodents don't have a vomit reflex so they have to learn by taste and texture what is safe to eat; that is why babies steal food from the mouth of their elders without complaints - they are learning.
You can find some more ideas for enrichment for all senses in our enrichment guide link with plenty of pictures and videos that really cater to what piggies find interesting: Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

I suppose it can be difficult to say whether an animal is really playing. Does a cat chase a toy because its entertaining or because instinct tells it to chace? Does a guinea pig destroy a wicker tunnel because its entertaining or does instinct tell it to nibble? Are playing dogs really just practising? And then what about humans? In any case, I suppose being (voluntarily) physically and mentally active (and getting a reward!), whether we call it playing on not, keeps eveything healthier and happier.

PS. I really enjoyed the Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs and that pig in the fridge is hilarious :xd:

No, they'll just eat them. The guinea pig version of "playing" mostly involves either running around and following other guinea pigs or chewing/eating things, so make sure anything you introduce for enrichment is nontoxic.

Back