Can guinea pigs get sick from humans?

Zorro1

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,
Recently, my sister caught a cold and then I came down with a stomach bug a few days later. :vom: We are now feeling a lot better, but I'm a little worried that my guinea pig may be affected by the recent sickness in the house.
I'm not sure whether this is a legitimate concern, that a guinea pig may catch a sickness from a human, but for peace of mind it would be nice to know.

Hi,
Recently, my sister caught a cold and then I came down with a stomach bug a few days later. :vom: We are now feeling a lot better, but I'm a little worried that my guinea pig may be affected by the recent sickness in the house.
I'm not sure whether this is a legitimate concern, that a guinea pig may catch a sickness from a human, but for peace of mind it would be nice to know.

Norovirus and salmonella can transmit to and from humans to guinea pigs; first from humans to guinea pigs but if infected, they can also transmit it back to humans in contact with them or by what they have touched unless strict hygiene is used. Guinea pigs don't have viral colds; they have bacterial respiratory infections.

If you are affected, please do not handle your guinea pigs, their food or any of their stuff if at all possible and use good hand washing (before and after) and bathroom disinfecting hygiene in order to prevent any transmission. If possible, transfer the care of your piggy to a member of the household that is not infected.

Back