• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Can guinea pigs eat Cherry?

Zorro1

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm wanting to give my piggy a treat, and am wondering if he can eat cherry. He's never tried cherry before, so if it is edible to guinea pigs, I'd be sure to give it to him in a very small amount, because all guinea pigs need to be introduced to new foods slowly.
If he can eat Cherry, is it a healthy treat?

It’s not really a healthy treat - all fruit is too high in sugar so it’s not strictly healthy - but as long as you only give a small bit of fruit occasionally then it’s fine.
Make sure the pit is removed

Thanks you both very much for your help. I gave my piggy a bite of a cherry, and he loves the taste!

I didn’t think piggies aren’t supposed to have cherries due to the stones?
My RB Jess had a bad reaction to a bit of one years ago and had to go to vets and have metacam so I put a thread on, I was told not to feed them the same as plums etc?

I really wouldn’t be feeding cherries, either. As I understood it, anything from the prune family should be avoided.

I didn’t think piggies aren’t supposed to have cherries due to the stones?
My RB Jess had a bad reaction to a bit of one years ago and had to go to vets and have metacam so I put a thread on, I was told not to feed them the same as plums etc?
Sorry that was supposed to say ‘are’ not ‘aren’t’!
Dozy Covid booster brain today!

It’s always been my understanding that the bark, wood/twigs and leaves from stone fruit trees may be harmful but the fruit themselves in very small quantities, while not strictly recommended, isnt definitely harmful.
They are actually listed as edible on the edible fruit and veg guide on here

It’s always been my understanding that the bark, wood/twigs and leaves from stone fruit trees may be harmful but the fruit themselves in very small quantities, while not strictly recommended, isnt definitely harmful.
Thank you for clarifying as I always thought it was the fruit they couldn’t have as well

Yes it’s why I fed them a few times to Jess and Rupert over the years, thinking they were ok I suppose! 🤦‍♀️ On here and Guinea Lynx. After Jess’s scary reaction I definitely stay well away these days.
My gang don’t get much fruit, Cleo tends to get the most with having her Bisolven on something extra tasty or she won’t have it! But that’s not much and still not even weekly really.

Back