Can guinea pigs drink glucose water?

Mavis1812

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My guinea pig has seen the vet today to have his front teeth trimmed.

However, the vet told me that i needed to feed him glucose water with a syringe for nutrients. I am very concerned about this, since guinea pigs are not supposed to drink sugar water.

Can anyone give me some advice?
Thanks in advance! I really appreciate all of your help and support!

Attachments

• F87DA0EB-E72C-4CC2-81F9-BC25F93143EF.webp
    F87DA0EB-E72C-4CC2-81F9-BC25F93143EF.webp
    64.5 KB · Views: 9
Hi, please do no feed your piggy sugar water. You’re right and guinea pigs shouldn’t have a lot of sugar.

If your piggy is struggling to eat, you can syringe feed critical care or mushed up pellets mixed with water and also grate the veg to make it easier for him to eat Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Hi, please do no feed your piggy sugar water. You’re right and guinea pigs shouldn’t have a lot of sugar.

If your piggy is struggling to eat, you can syringe feed critical care or mushed up pellets mixed with water and also grate the veg to make it easier for him to eat Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
OMG thank you so much 😭😭😭 Have a nice day!

:agr:
Please do read the syringe feeding guide linked in above. A piggy who isn’t eating hay for themselves needs to be syringe fed a fibre rich recovery feed or their normal pellets mushed up with water

Yes, have a good read of the guide. Little bits of mush at a time so they can carefully manage it in their mouth and not accidentally inhale it. It is better to make the mush runny with a little more water than trying to syringe water on its own as they can inhale the pure liquid more easily than the mush if there is an accident. Piggy should be hungry but his mouth might be sore. Perhaps your vet gave you painkiller for him? If not, just be gentle with the little syringe. Good luck x

Your piggy is lovely 💕

Back