Can Guinea Pigs Be Put In Shallow Water When It's Hot?

Emi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
i know it's not good for them to be submerged in water but on hot says could you allow them to paddle in some shallow water or is this bad for them?

You could try it! not too cold though as it could shock them. Try putting a bit of tepid water in a shallow dish and let them choose if they fancy a paddle!

Mine love a paddle when its really hot. I put a about half an inch of water in a bucket and stand them in the water and they soon let me know when they have had enough usually after about 10 or so seconds. If they don't want to be in there they let me know straight away. Keep a towel nearby and dry them off underneath so they are not soggy. I only ever do this if the temperature is around 25 degrees or higher.

i know it's not good for them to be submerged in water but on hot says could you allow them to paddle in some shallow water or is this bad for them?

Most piggies DO NOT like being in water, even if is no more than max. 2 inches deep. A good number tends to freak out and has only got an goal in mind - to get out as quickly as possible however they can!
There are many much more effective tips and tricks on how to keep your piggies cool in this guide here: Hot Weather Management And Heat Strokes

Mine love a paddle when its really hot. I put a about half an inch of water in a bucket and stand them in the water and they soon let me know when they have had enough usually after about 10 or so seconds. If they don't want to be in there they let me know straight away. Keep a towel nearby and dry them off underneath so they are not soggy. I only ever do this if the temperature is around 25 degrees or higher.

How do they let you know? What indicates they are stressed?

Most piggies DO NOT like being in water, even if is no more than max. 2 inches deep. A good number tends to freak out and has only got an goal in mind - to get out as quickly as possible however they can!
There are many much more effective tips and tricks on how to keep your piggies cool in this guide here: Hot Weather Management And Heat Strokes
So if I give them the option and they want to it won't harm them? maybe a tray of water in their run or something with plenty of room to avoid if they don't want to go in?

Thank you, I will have a look

They all have their own ways of telling you. My 5 are all different. Some squeak, some try and jump out and some jump up and down it all depends on your piggy and how well you know them!

So if I give them the option and they want to it won't harm them? maybe a tray of water in their run or something with plenty of room to avoid if they don't want to go in?

Thank you, I will have a look

If you give them option with 1-2 inches of water to get in or out on their own, that is fine. Just don't be surprised if it is totally ignored.
Like most animals, guinea pigs can instinctively paddle to stay alive, but perhaps only ever 20th piggy actually likes water, if that! ;)

Back