Can guinea pigs be out all day?

Claire W

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
I was browsing Facebook this morning and on a group I’m in, someone said that guinea pigs shouldn’t be be out on the grass all day as too much grass is bad for them. But someone else was under the impression they could be out all day providing they had shelter, food and water and grass was fine as it’s essentially hay and it started a debate. My piggies are often out for several hours when the weather is nice so can they or can’t they? Who else puts their piggies out all day?

Mine go out all day. They can be out for 12-14 hours if conditions are right, but -
- only after being gradually and properly acclimated to the grass
- only if I’m home
- only if it is suitable conditions
- always with hay, hides, water etc

Spring grass is more veg like so I adjust their veg down after a day on the grass
Summer grass is more hay like so I don’t tend to give less veg after a day on the grass

I think it entirely depends, Claire. On the piggies, how acclimatised they are to grass, and what the conditions are. Great advice above.

Mine go outside all day when the weather allows. It's not often they can go out early in the morning because we get heavy dew and it usually takes a good 2-3 hours until the grass is dry. I only put them out when one of us can be outside with them. We have heavy duty runs with secure roofs, they go in a shaded part of he garden with extra shade on the top of the runs (I use old sun lounger seat pads a they don't blow off in the breeze), they also have pet carriers stuffed with hay to eat and sleep in and step stools to sit under/run through. They don't eat grass all day, there's an awful lot of sleeping and hay munching involved as well as zoomies and showing off to friends! I move the runs about 6 inches a day so they get a fresh strip of long grass to eat, they don't get a run full in one go.

I have not yet put mine out for a whole day, but they were out for about half the day yesterday. We'll work up to a whole day. All the same advice about shade, water, acclimatisation etc. I don't stay outside with them as their run is secure, but I wouldn't leave them in it if I was going out.

Back