Can Gp Panic When You Hold Them?

Spally67

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there

Thanks in advance for reading! I've had our girls (not sisters but together since birth) for 2 weeks. We have been holding them every day and I have seen them grow in confidence (they come out in the cage when we are there), and when we pet them they wheek.

However they now try and 'escape' when we are holding them. They sit and pet for a few minutes then try and find each other and hide. The wheeking gets louder and they seem to panic and try and bite the cuddle cushion. Is this a sign that they have had enough?

Thanks again!

It absoutly normal for them to panic. They are prey animals its just instinct for them to panic.

Hi there

Thanks in advance for reading! I've had our girls (not sisters but together since birth) for 2 weeks. We have been holding them every day and I have seen them grow in confidence (they come out in the cage when we are there), and when we pet them they wheek.

However they now try and 'escape' when we are holding them. They sit and pet for a few minutes then try and find each other and hide. The wheeking gets louder and they seem to panic and try and bite the cuddle cushion. Is this a sign that they have had enough?

Thanks again!

Yes, guinea pigs can totally freak out when being held and handled. When yours are getting wiggly, it is generally a sign that they want to be back. Babies are not built for sitting still for long!

Please take the time to read these two guides. You will find them very helpful:
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig

We have got more helpful and informative guides on a range of areas that many new owners have questions about via this link here: New Owners' Problem Solver And Information Collection

Back