Can bonded boys play together

Anikaskyblue32

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! I recently got 2 skinny pugs for free that came with two huge cages,food, cleaning stuff, hides, treats, vitamins, etc. I was told by the women that they were bonded brothers but couldnt be housed together this is my second time owning pigs and I don't know everything that I could. I know enough to raise them and take care of them well but still have concerns and questions. My current question is can the bonded boys play together on the floor? Or will they fight? I'm really scared to test out that theory because alvin is the bigger brother and Theodore I'd quite small and petite.

They are either bonded and are able to live together happily OR their bond has broken and they no longer like each other and cannot live together.

If their bond is broken, then they don’t like each other. This means they cannot live in the same cage and must never have any physical contact or floor time together otherwise they will fight.

People giving animals away free to a good home will often say whatever they think will get the animals off their hands the fastest.
I wouldn't believe anything she told you.
However it sounds like the boys have found a good and caring home with you.

The first thing would be to check that they are both males.

As @Piggies&buns has already said they are either bonded and live together full time, or they aren't.
Piggies don't do 'play dates'.
Every interaction is a bonding session where they have to work to establish a hierarchy, and this is stressful for them to start and then be separated repeatedly.

So the best thing to do is to give them a few days to settle into their new home and try and position their cages so they can see and smell each other through the bars.
Then you can attempt to bond them in a large, neutral area and see what happens.
If they do get on you can try having them live together IF you can offer a large enough space.

Have a read through the guides on bonding here:
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Back