• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

can anyone help me with ideas?

• Thread starter Thread starter Cloverandmagic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cloverandmagic

okay , my groomer for my guinea pigs isnt cutting guinea pig nails anymore and we dont know how to cut our guinea pigs nails ! i dont want to hurt them and whenever i try they squirm and I'm afraid I'm gunna hurt them,
is there any tips or tricks on keeping a guinea pig calm?
and how far do you cut them?

if you pigs hav whit nails thn D NT cut past th whit bit, vn just cutting th tip off is goo nough.
if your pigs hav black nails thn just cut th tiip off about vry 3 or so months.
[colorr] (oubl chck on th 3 months part!)
if th nail starts to bl gt som cornflour an put it on th to. in my xprinc, you n to lav th to in th cornflour for quit a whil or it will continu to bl! lol

I'm sur you will o fin, if not ithr ask th groomr or a vt to tach you :)

goo luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
i would say more often than 3 months. i do munchies (white nails) every two weeks, and bobs (black nails) every 2 weeks with little trims here and there

black nails are hard to keep under control and short if you leave them too long, and are not confident at clipping them

so i recommend taking off a little and often is the best plan

all but one of my pigs has black nails... and they dont seem to need that regular trimming... but whenever i see they are a bit long i trim them lol

I do all mine once a month but the black nails more often as I take less off :)

Bit of a stupid question but can I ask what everyone uses? Do you have special guinea cutting clippers. I just use a human nailclipper thing.

Cloverandmagic - put guinea on your lap with some favourite food so he sits and munches. Then hold each foot and just take the very tip off. You may not be able to do all the feet if he gets restless.

When David is here, he uses the proper clipping things but I cannot use them so use large toe nail clippers. The proper one does a much better job though as the human ones seem to sort of shatter the nail and leave sharp bits :(

okay do human nail clippers work?

and *clover* my guinea pig has one black nail out all all of her feet!
so what should i do to cut them even?

Cloverandmagic said:
okay do human nail clippers work?

and *clover* my guinea pig has one black nail out all all of her feet!
so what should i do to cut them even?

My human clippers work fine, and for black/dark nails, you just kind of have to play it safe and only cut off the tip of the nail.

yeh you can use human clippers, like other people have said, dont go past the red/pink area as thats very sensitivie 0:)

I do all of mine every month and use the guilatine type dog claw clippers

i use human clippers too, and on bobs claws i use a file to get them a little shorter than i can with clippers (he has black claws)

I purchased the ones for small dogs and cats, but i get the vets to trim them as he's like a wiggly worm and hates it, so it's done when he's under his anaes to have his toofie trim.
He has black and white toenails to a real hard thing to judge, but i agree with everyone just a little trim often is fine O0

kape thats sounds good beacuse
Magic and Clover both flip out when they even hear the word nail trim
so i have to like spell it out now

If they have mixed colour nails on same foot cut them all to the same length

Jillybean said:
Bit of a stupid question but can I ask what everyone uses? Do you have special guinea cutting clippers. I just use a human nailclipper thing.

Cloverandmagic - put guinea on your lap with some favourite food so he sits and munches. Then hold each foot and just take the very tip off. You may not be able to do all the feet if he gets restless.

I use human clippers too, i used to have these special piggie scissor clippers and they were great but I lost them lol

Have you tried towel wrapping them and putting them at an angle on their backs on a soft cushion? Might be a job for two pairs of hands but towel wrapping and/or resting into a soft surface always calms ours down O0

I got a great pair of baby nail clippers from 99p store, they have a circle on top to put your thumb through so you dont keep dropping them, it makes it much quicker to cut there nails.

i trim mine every 3weeks or so :) i worked out which positions they prefer being held in and feed them some spinach or cucumber whilst I'm cutting them :)

i use human clippers (small ones) O0

maisynpoppy said:
i trim mine every 3weeks or so :) i worked out which positions they prefer being held in and feed them some spinach or cucumber whilst I'm cutting them :)
O0
Bribery often works doesn't it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back