Can anybody help interpret this running behaviour?

campbell

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all!

I was wondering if anybody could help me interpret whether my boys are playing or agitated in this clip?

Context: they are two month old brothers and are still settling in after adoption. It's been a minute since I've owned piggies and am still learning their behaviour. So if they're agitated I'd like to mitigate it if at all possible!

Also, despite having a flat layer of coroplast on the bottom the bottom grids still shake when they run... I will be buying a piece of plywood to fix this asap.

TIA for any answers! :-)

You have very happy piggies. They are doing zoomies round the cage with a few popcorns thrown in. Lovely to watch!

:agr: Also, having had very happy excitable boars, there's every chance you'll never stop the grids rattling entirely. Comet used to run into the sides of his cage occasionally, he'd misjudge the space for turning and he was never very good at applying the brakes, so to speak. As long as they're not rattling it hard enough that it's at risk of disassembling itself in some form, a little rattling won't be an issue.

:agr: Also, having had very happy excitable boars, there's every chance you'll never stop the grids rattling entirely. Comet used to run into the sides of his cage occasionally, he'd misjudge the space for turning and he was never very good at applying the brakes, so to speak. As long as they're not rattling it hard enough that it's at risk of disassembling itself in some form, a little rattling won't be an issue.
Excellent advice! Thank you. I used a truly obscene zip ties so I think and hope it will hold🤞😆

Happy happy boys! Btw, you don't need the grids on top unless it is to protect them from other pets.

Hi and welcome

Some classic piggy playtime with zoomies ending in a bit of a dodgem moment when they deliberately crash into each other. Happy times!

These links here may help you with behaviours: A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

Here is our video guide to popcorning and zoomies: Popcorning/jumping and zooming/running: Joy and exuberance
videos

We have got a helpful how-to information guide collection for new owners into which our collective over 15 years forum experience with tens of thousands of questions and our own personal long term ownership has gone into.
You may want to bookmark the link, so you can browse, read and re-read at need, especially as you are in a bit of a differen time zone to the UK where is forum is mainly based although we have members from all over the world.
Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners

Enjoy your happy youngsters.

Hi and welcome

Some classic piggy playtime with zoomies ending in a bit of a dodgem moment when they deliberately crash into each other. Happy times!

These links here may help you with behaviours: A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

Here is our video guide to popcorning and zoomies: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...mping-and-zooming-running-joy-and-exuberance-
videos.171423/

We have got a helpful how-to information guide collection for new owners into which our collective over 15 years forum experience with tens of thousands of questions and our own personal long term ownership has gone into.
You may want to bookmark the link, so you can browse, read and re-read at need, especially as you are in a bit of a differen time zone to the UK where is forum is mainly based although we have members from all over the world.
Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners

Enjoy your happy youngsters.
Thanks so much for taking the time to send me this! I've been doing tons of research, but I still feel like I have so much to learn! So I'm very grateful for this community and for sure be learning and engaging for years to come!

Greetings from Canada btw! :-) imo we in NA have a lot to learn from the UK and EU with regards to small animal care.

Thanks so much for taking the time to send me this! I've been doing tons of research, but I still feel like I have so much to learn! So I'm very grateful for this community and for sure be learning and engaging for years to come!

Greetings from Canada btw! :-) imo we in NA have a lot to learn from the UK and EU with regards to small animal care.

Glad if we can help you. There is not a lot of reliable information around in terms of behaviour but sadly a lot of misinterpretation. :(

I hope that the guides and the information collection will help you.

We have an even larger collection where all our information threads are laid out in thematic order; it's one of the most comprehensive ones around. You can access it via the new owners link, via the shortcut on the extended top bar or via the top of the New Owners section.

Back