Can A Guinea Pig And A Cat Live Together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryTeacup

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I recently lost a beloved rabbit that lived in a hutch in the garden. Often we would let him and my 3 year old (approximately) guinea pig out together and they would play and eat in the sun.
Since the loss, we have been thinking about getting a rescue cat. But I don't want to get one if they and Squeak can't get along as Squeaks hutch is in the living room and he insists the door must always be left open - he doesn't jump out, even when we leave for a day out. He's just a bit of a drama queen.
Has anyone had any success with a cat and a guinea pig? I understand that usually the two have to be together from birth to get along, which is why I'm worrying.

Hello and welcome to the forum! I'm so sorry for the loss of your bun :( I'd have to say that however the cat is brought up, it's just not safe to leave a cat or dog with a guinea pig, especially not unsupervised. All it takes sadly it a split second and your guinea pig could be seriously injured or killed. It's not a risk I'd take :( Could you get your guinea pig another guinea pig as a companion? They thrive on same species companionship.

I don't think it's a good idea to mix a cat with a guinea, even if they appear friendly, unfortunately anything can happen whilst you look away. I'm very sorry for your loss. x

:D I have to agree with the above posts. Even if a cat is brought up with a guinea pig, I would not trust it to be left alone with the pig. Although they have been domesticated for thousands of years, cats still have their wild predatory instincts. As Flutterby said, could you not get another piggie as companion for your existing one?

Cats are carnivores. Cats are hunters. Cats don't understand the concept of 'pets'. In certain circumstances, with the right sort of upbringing, species can mix happily - but to think you can get an unknown 'rescue' cat - which may well have hunted to survive - to live with it's natural prey - that's extremely unfair to both the guinea pig and the cat.

I have both species - but I love each species for what it is - I expect a level of tolerance - but no more, and I would never deliberately expose my small mammals to danger.

Thank you for your advice, we had considered another guinea pig but we'd had a couple over the past years and were hoping to find a pet that had a longer life span as it's always very painful losing a piggy or any pet and they seem to be gone so soon.

We have both, but they're never left unsupervised, Lola didn't give a fig whenever the cats where about and always wanted what they were eating! :))

WP_20140929_007.webp

I know people who have cats and guinea pigs, but don't leave them unsupervised, ever. Cats are predators and still have those instincts, and it only takes a moment for the guinea pig to be killed or seriously injured. My friend's laid-back, overweight housecat killed a medium-sized rabbit in their garden, so even the most sedate cat can still hunt! In a situation such as yours, where the hutch is always open, I personally wouldn't risk it. Honestly, another guinea pig might be the best bet. They really do thrive and build relationships with their own species. I love to see my girls interact! I do hear what you're saying about the short lifespan being emotionally hard (after having had small animals for my entire life, I have had moments of, "Just can't do it anymore!" when you lose them.) Only you can judge for yourself whether it's something you're willing to go through again by taking on another pig. I know I've ended up deciding that losing pets is hard, but not having any more pets is far harder!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back