Can a 6 week old male live by himself?

Je12

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So I am getting a six week old male but he is the only piggie left in his litter and I already am getting a boar pair. He will be living in a 2x6 and I was wondering is it alright for him to live by himself until I get him a buddy?

As I explained on your other thread, his cage needs to be beside your pair. As long as he can interact between the bars with your existing pair then he will not be fully by himself. Living side by side is ok given the situation you are finding yourself in.
I see you’re going for a 2x6 for him rather than the 2x3.
Are the bonded pair in a 2x6 also?

Do note that your will need to make sure the cage is baby proofed. If you have normal square holes in your grids, then he will likely be able to slip right through then and escape his cage while he is small.

As I explained on your other thread, his cage needs to be beside your pair. As long as he can interact between the bars with your existing pair then he will not be fully by himself. Living side by side is ok given the situation you are finding yourself in.
I see you’re going for a 2x6 for him rather than the 2x3.
Are the bonded pair in a 2x6 also?

Do note that your will need to make sure the cage is baby proofed. If you have normal square holes in your grids, then he will likely be able to slip right through then and escape his cage while he is small.
Yes, the bonded pair are also in a 2x6. And yes I have baby proofed it with translucent grids rather than the metal grids.

(There is a rescue in planning on seeing if he bonds with but that won’t be for a few months)

As long as you can get a rescue centre help in trying to find him a new friend then that is the safest way.
While boars can be bonded and rebonded at any age, once they hit their teens (at 4 months of age) it can become harder due to the hormones. If the bonding fails then you hopefully have the rescue to fall back on to take the rescue piggy back to. Then you can hopefully try another piggy until you find one he is compatible with.
Otherwise the 2x6 with the baby in will need to be split in half and then have a single piggy living either side if you cannot return the rescue pig.

This is a question from your other threes that you have asked. I’m also posting it in here with my answer given this thread is specifically about housing the baby -

One question: should I put a 2x3 on top of my 2x8 or build a 2x4 under my 2x8?

The baby’s cage needs to be right beside the cage that the pair live in so they can see, smell and interact with each other through the cages divider.

It cannot go on top of the other cage and it cannot be across the room as the baby will then lose all ability to interact with the pair and will get lonely.

This is a question from your other threes that you have asked. I’m also posting it in here with my answer given this thread is specifically about housing the baby -

One question: should I put a 2x3 on top of my 2x8 or build a 2x4 under my 2x8?

The baby’s cage needs to be right beside the cage that the pair live in so they can see, smell and interact with each other through the cages divider.

It cannot go on top of the other cage and it cannot be across the room as the baby will then lose all ability to interact with the pair and will get lonely.
Sadly I am not able to place them side by side, I can however have my rescue assist me in bonding but I don’t have to space to have them side by side.

Sadly I am not able to place them side by side, I can however have my rescue assist me in bonding but I don’t have to space to have them side by side.

I’m afraid his cage cannot be away from the other piggies during the time he is living in the cage by himself otherwise he will be lonely. Single piggies need to be able to be side by side constantly, it is particularly essential that he is beside them as he too young to be away from others without any interaction. Right now he is at an age where he is learning how to be a piggy, what is safe, how to interact and companionship (albeit through the bars) at this point is more important right now than at any other time.
He either needs to be side by side straight away with the pair or be bonded with a new friend straight away (he won’t be able to wait for a few months before bonding at the rescue).
His cage can only be stacked on top of the pairs cage or be elsewhere in the room when he has a friend living in the same cage with him.

I can try introducing him to the rescue a week or two after I get him? If that makes it better

I can try introducing him to the rescue a week or two after I get him? If that makes it better

That’s better if the rescue have a compatible boar now and can do it quickly, he does really still need to be beside them for those weeks he is alone though.
You said your family wouldn’t let you have a fourth piggy - I’m assuming they have now agreed to a fourth?

If it helps space wise and means it can fit beside the other cage, then his cage only needs to be a 2x3 during the time he is alone.

That’s better if the rescue have a compatible boar now and can do it quickly, he does really still need to be beside them for those weeks he is alone though.
You said your family wouldn’t let you have a fourth piggy - I’m assuming they have now agreed to a fourth?

If it helps space wise and means it can fit beside the other cage, then his cage only needs to be a 2x3 during the time he is alone.
They have agreed to a fourth pig but I am trying to actively find a compatible pig and it’s been a little difficult. The issue is I do not currently have my two board and won’t have them until about two weeks after I get the baby.

They have agreed to a fourth pig but I am trying to actively find a compatible pig and it’s been a little difficult. The issue is I do not currently have my two board and won’t have them until about two weeks after I get the baby.

Oh I see. I thought you already had the two other piggies.
How old are the pair you are getting?

If you have a rescue centre near, you need to contact them and enquire whether they have any single boars (ideally older boars beyond teen age) available for adoption. You wont just find a compatible pig, he will need to be actually tried with the baby in neutral territory to see if they are compatible.

The pair are 7 months and 5/6 weeks old. There is a single boar but he is about one year old. They said they can assist me with bonding once I get him if I am interested.

The pair are 7 months and 5/6 weeks old. There is a single boar but he is about one year old. They said they can assist me with bonding once I get him if I am interested.

Ok, so the pair are teenagers themselves. Definitely do not put the baby in with them.

So is this at a rescue centre then or is this a private rehoming?
At a year old, he is still a teenager himself but he might accept the baby provided the baby remains submissive.

Ok, so the pair are teenagers themselves. Definitely do not put the baby in with them.

So is this at a rescue centre then or is this a private rehoming?
At a year old, he is still a teenager himself but he might accept the baby provided the baby remains submissive.
It is an actual rescue center that specializes in Guinea pigs. They said his temperament is very chill and laid back.

It is an actual rescue center that specializes in Guinea pigs. They said his temperament is very chill and laid back.

That’s good.
When are you getting the baby? I would arrange for the bonding to take place quite soon after you get him (it’s going to be quite a lot for the baby to go through in a short space of time).
If the rescue are only helping with ’speed dating’ ie they are put on neutral territory for a short time which is only enough to get through acceptance but not the other stages, then you will need to bring them home in separate carriers (you don’t want to risk a fight in a confined space with two stressed piggies) and put them back on neutral territory for another few hours to finish the introduction. If all still remains well, you can then move them to the thoroughly cleaned out cage together after those few hours. As the baby will have been living in his cage for a little while prior to getting a new friend, you cant put them straight back into the main cage when you bring them home as by then it will be seen as his territory.
It then takes around two weeks for them to fully settle their hierarchy and relationship.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

That’s good.
When are you getting the baby? I would arrange for the bonding to take place quite soon after you get him (it’s going to be quite a lot for the baby to go through in a short space of time).
If the rescue are only helping with ’speed dating’ ie they are put on neutral territory for a short time which is only enough to get through acceptance but not the other stages, then you will need to bring them home in separate carriers (you don’t want to risk a fight in a confined space with two stressed piggies) and put them back on neutral territory for another few hours to finish the introduction. If all still remains well, you can then move them to the thoroughly cleaned out cage together after those few hours. As the baby will have been living in his cage for a little while prior to getting a new friend, you cant put them straight back into the main cage when you bring them home as by then it will be seen as his territory.
It then takes around two weeks for them to fully settle their hierarchy and relationship.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
I plan to get the baby next week! I will try to arrange for a meeting once it’s official. I will definitely try the bonding at home for sure if it doesn’t happen at the rescue. Thank you for the tips!

The guide I linked in explains the full process of bonding.

To add, the 7 month old pair will also go into a period of reestablishing their relationship when you bring them home. It always happens whenever there is a change in environment.

Ensure you have enough spare grids so that if there is an issue between either pair, you can split a 2x6 cage into two 2x3s to separate them if that was to ever become necessary.

I have four boars. A pair of happily bonded 5 year olds and two 10 month olds. The two 10 month olds came to me as a pair at 9 weeks old. Unfortunately when they hit their teens their bond broke down and now they live side by side with each other and with my 5 year old pair.

Ok thank you I will definitely keep an eye out on them to see how they react. I do have some spare grids to split the cage down the middle in case anything goes wrong.

Back