Calcium in RediGrass?

Suki&Indie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’ve recently started giving my piggies RediGrass and it’s been amazing for putting some weight back on my elderly (almost 8!) piggy. I’m just concerned as I’ve seen some people say the calcium levels are fine and others say it’s very high. I'm not replacing their Timothy hay with the RediGrass but they do get a good few handfuls a day although I’ve started to slow it down.

They do get urinary supplements by oxbow and I only see a few small and very dusty calcium deposits in the cage which i think is about normal.

Not sure if there’s other brands but the RediGrass I use is by “friendly” and sadly doesn’t have a calcium % on the bag :(

Readigrass is very rich and high in calcium.

It’s fine to give it but i personally would not (and don’t myself) do more than a very small/half a handful a couple of times a week as more of a forage treat mixed in with hay.

ive looked on the bag i have Calcium is 0.55 and phosphate 0.27 %.i feed a bowl aday to 2 to 4 piggies daily,ive had one piggie out of 50 with a bladder stone.one with urine infection.I believe its safe to feed as a treat.

I just introduced redadigrass to my two a couple of weeks ago and noticed, not runny, but slightly wetter poop than usual and they had wee dirty feet from squishier poop 🤢. When I stopped it for a couple of days things went back to normal. They love it tho, so I think I’ll do the same as @Piggies&buns suggests and just use it as forage a couple of times a week.

Back