Cage suggestions

LaurenS

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
A friend is looking for somewhere that sells wooden cages, would have to be fairly large as she has 6 pigs. I got mine from Manor Pet Housing but they’ve closed down. Making her own isn’t an option either neither is a large c&c. If anyone has any suggestions of places that make wooden cages that would be great ☺️

Is their any joiners would could make a bespoke cage/hutch for her? Home to roost has good hutches and runs but their maximum size is 6ft x 2 ft which is not big enough for a herd

Is their any joiners would could make a bespoke cage/hutch for her? Home to roost has good hutches and runs but their maximum size is 6ft x 2 ft which is not big enough for a herd
I don’t know any personally and it’s so hard to find businesses that make bespoke cages these days. I’m glad I ordered mines when I did

In all honestly I think she will struggle to find a commercial hutch that will comfortably accommodate 6 piggies.
What is she currently using?

My only suggestion would be to buy 2 hutches from somewhere like Home and Roost and then remove the end panels and join them together.
Ot look online for a bunny or dog shed and convert that.

I agree, the place I got mines from closed down and they were the only company I know of that would custom make cages as large as you required. I'm not sure all I know is they are currently in two groups and she wants to bond them and have them in the one cage all together.
That’s a good idea about the hutches actually I’ll suggest that. They are indoors pigs though so a shed isn’t an option either, tricky situation 😂 I think c&c is the only way lol

I’m not sure bonding 6 piggies would work - she might be left with 4 bonded and 2 bonded - you can only have 1 boar with a group of females and only 2 boars on their own - I’d leave the arrangements as they are and get two hutches.

I agree, the place I got mines from closed down and they were the only company I know of that would custom make cages as large as you required. I'm not sure all I know is they are currently in two groups and she wants to bond them and have them in the one cage all together.
That’s a good idea about the hutches actually I’ll suggest that. They are indoors pigs though so a shed isn’t an option either, tricky situation 😂 I think c&c is the only way lol

Bonding a herd of six is fine to try but only if they are all sows. Even then it may not be straight forward - bonding two established groups means the dominant piggy in each group has to come to an agreement and one of them would lose their position as dominant - not something older sows are always willing to do.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

In terms of cage, as above - joining two 6ft hutches together, having a joiner make a custom cage or a 8x2 c&c are really the only options

Back