Cage Smelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garden

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My pig are getting smelly. Was using fleece with puppy pad. Towels and then fleece but the towels really smell. Now using wood shaving down stairs and in small cage and fleece upstairs but it still smells. I have carbon freshners and cage cleaner and cage granules to put on bottom of cage. I have not washed pigs but i have used pet wipes on them. They dont seen to smell its the cage. Any ideas?. Could it be the second floor and the lower floor not getting much air flow?

Everytime you clean the cage (not spot cleaning, a complete cleaning) you could try to wash the floor of the cage with a mix of vinegar and water. I think the proportion was 1/2 of each, spray it and then wipe dry.

I have used vinegar in the past but now I use a cage cleaner.

Hmm how often do you do a full clean of the cage?

I had fleece liners on Teddy's cage and I did a full change of them every week or week and a few days, but I also had 1x1 fleece liners on the spots where he peed the most and those were changed every second day, and the cage was spot cleaned every day. And it didn't really smell, only when it was already time to change them, of course.

I do a full cage clean every 2 -3 days. But spot clean twice a day and clean the hay tray every day. I also have extra pads under water bottles. The smell is almost straight there after clean. It is hard to clean my cage because of lay out my need to take it apart when pigs out side

I now have the hay and hay bag in small cage

Wow, that's weird, especially since it begins to smell a bit after you changed it... I really don't know what else to say, sorry I can't be of better help. Hopefully someone can help you!

I did wonder if it was the hay? I use timonthy hay and i know that smells that is why i made a bag. Maybe i need to clean cage and leave hay out for a bit to see it it smells then

I change Chocks hay every day as well as do regular spot cleans and fresh hay every day seems to keep the smell down...

The hay? Well, if you had it on the floor or in a place where the piggies could wee and poo over it, then that might be the problem, otherwise it shouldn't be?

Are you cleaning it too often? Prompting them to wee and scent mark more because of the new territory each time you do a full cage clean? I saw you have boars so that might be it?

I do have hay in a litter tray too under the hay net. Maybe i should stop this but they love sleeping on it. Thwy also wee alot on it too.

You might find you need to do a proper clean of all of the fleece to remove detergent build up. This can cause the fleece to smell almost immediately even if it is freshly washed.
First run your washing machine totally empty on a hot cycle (no detergent). Does it still have foamy water? If so then you need to repeat this step until the water is always clear, and all the excess detergent is removed from the machine.
Then put all of your fleeces and towels in on a 60 degree wash with 1 tablespoon of powder and a splash of white vinegar (in the conditioner compartment).
At the end of the cycle line dry everything if possible (but if not the dryer should be ok.
This should remove any lingering smells from the fabric itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back