Cage sizing for a pair of piggies.

Srg

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, sorry for this question as I know there is plenty of guidance around cage sizing but I need to know, if I have a 1.2mx0.5m space for a couple of guinea pigs, is that a suitable size for a couple of pigs or is it just too small?

Thanks for any comments!

They would get maybe upto an hour in a larger run inside a day in the evening...

120x60cm (which is 8 square feet) is the smallest size that a pair of sows should be kept in. 150x60 (10 square feet) being the recommended For two sows.

The cage size is definitely too small for a pair of boars as they are more territorial and need a bigger space as their minimum - 150x60cm (10 square feet) but 180x60cm (12 square feet) recommended.

So sadly your space is smaller than the minimum - 120x50cm converts to just over 6 square feet. Having a separate run sadly does not count as any space the piggies get locked into needs to be big enough.

Cage Size Guide

Thanks! So just to clarify, would it be cruel to keep a pair of piggies in that size cage or just not ideal? All honest opinions welcomed!

Thanks! So just to clarify, would it be cruel to keep a pair of piggies in that size cage or just not ideal? All honest opinions welcomed!

It wouldn’t be suitable as it doesn’t meet minimum welfare requirements.

If you can push it to 120x60cm - I know it doesn’t sound much but that 10cm extra on the width makes a big difference - then it would mean it would meet thr minimum welfare requirements for two sows.

Having a large single level flat space really does make a huge difference to their lives. They need to have at least the minimum space not only for welfare and exercise but also for the sake of their relationship. Too small of a space can cause them to fight and fall out...and then you need two cages at that size next to each other once two piggies can no longer live together.

I wouldn’t say it’s cruel, but it wouldn’t meet their welfare needs. That’s the important thing. I would say if you can’t stretch to the very minimum (for sows) then maybe it’s not the right pet at this moment in time. By the time you add in hides and hay areas (2 each), there may not be as much room for them to zoom or wander around.

I wouldn’t strongly suggest not to get boars if you can’t go beyond the minimum space - 120x60cm. Hopefully you can offer a bigger space ☺️

Thanks. So I have worked out a way to get the cage slightly bigger than the minimum and will avoid boars.

Thanks. So I have worked out a way to get the cage slightly bigger than the minimum and will avoid boars.

Great news!

If you are rescuing piggies from a centre then do check with the rescue centre of their specific cage sizing requirements. Rescuing is safest (rather than pet shop purchasing) as you can be assured of getting two sows who aren’t pregnant (surprise pregnancies happen from pet shops and is the reason for the pregnancy section’s existence on this forum), are healthy and who are well bonded.

If you are tight for space, and are purchasing, then be very careful on ensuring you buy two piggies who are spending time together in the enclosure at the shop. While sows are wired to live in groups, they do still need to be character compatible to have a functioning bond so by choosing two piggies are choosing to be together then they can have a higher chance of being compatible.

Keep us posted on when you get your piggies

Back