Cage size

Juliett

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I’m having a indoor cage built for guinea pigs it’s a double cage so a run at the bottom what would be the minimum size plz ,
I’ve had little pigs in the past but just need a little advice on the size ,
Thanks all .

Hi, how many pigs is your cage going to be for?

:wel:

Piggies are ground roaming animals and not natural climbers, so any upper levels do not count towards the cage size. Therefore, only the bottom level counts and must meet size requirements.

For two sows that is a minimum of 8 square feet (120x60cm) but 10 square feet (150x60cm) is recommended.
(Adding an additional two square feet per additional sow ie for three sows you need a minimum of 10 square feet but 12 square feet is recommended (180x60cm))

For two boars, the size needed is 12 square feet (180x60cm). (10 square feet is the minimum but given boars are more territorial, 10 sq ft can be too small. )

Cage Size Guide

It will be for 2 little girl pigs

As per my reply above, it is a minimum of 8 square feet but 10 square feet is recommended on the bottom level. The upper level doesn’t count towards the cage size

You might also find the cage size guide helps.
Cage Size Guide

What I would say is to go as big as possible if you are building a custom cage, as these aren't so easy to extend.
More space is always greatly appreciated.

You might also find the cage size guide helps.
Cage Size Guide

What I would say is to go as big as possible if you are building a custom cage, as these aren't so easy to extend.
More space is always greatly appreciated.
Hi hunny I have a place in mind that’s why I needed to no the minimum there also will be a run done to fit cage if the minimum isn’t the size where I want to put it I will have to keep them outside and have them indoors in the winter months , thanks for replying.

Hi hunny I have a place in mind that’s why I needed to no the minimum there also will be a run done to fit cage if the minimum isn’t the size where I want to put it I will have to keep them outside and have them indoors in the winter months , thanks for replying.

If you want to share details of your cage design, measurements and space available, then we may be able to help with further suggestions and specifics on sizing requirements

You mentioned in your original post that it’ll be a two storey cage with the run at the bottom. If the two levels are going to be connected by a ramp, then only the bottom level counts as living space so needs to be ideally 10 square feet (8 sq ft at minimum)
If the cage is above the run and they are going to ever be locked into the upper level/cage it also needs to be 10 square feet (8 at minimum)

If the space you want to put the cage isn’t big enough and you are planing on using a run to extend their space, then any run would need to be connected all on ground level and they would need 24/7 access to the run and cage area

Last edited:
Back