Cage Size When Guinea Pigs Have Space To Roam Daily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millcroft12

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hi,

We are getting 2 baby Guinea pigs and they will have their own room. It is completely safe, no wires etc and we plan to leave their cage open so they have the run of the room when we are out. With this in mind can we get a cage with these dimensions? Would prefer not to have a massive indoor cage. 98.5 x 58.5 x 61 cm (L x W x H)

Thanks!

Will the cage be open all the time? Giving them full time run of the room? Or only when you're out?
If it's only when you're out, then personally I'd say they need a bigger cage. If it's always open then it's basically a bedroom and kitchen and the room is their "cage" so it would be fine.

If they have their own room they dont need a cage just loads of hiding places, tunnels and a huge area of hay.

Welcome to the forum.
It is always great to meet people who are doing their research in advance too.

Personally I would say that this cage is much too small.
If it really will be open all the time then it might be ok, but the reality is that what seems like a great idea now, may not work so well in reality.
Then it would be quite easy to leave them in the cage with the door shut (when you want to clean the room, have visitors over who might accidentally open the door, when they make a huge mess of the carpet, etc).
By getting a cage that is just slightly larger they could still have free run of the room, but would also be fine if the cage needed to be closed for any length of time.
I would go for a 120 cm length cage as a minimum, so your guineas will always have plenty of space regardless of the circumstances.
If in a few months it really does seem to work having them free range most of the time then you can always sell the bigger cage on gumtree, and go for something smaller.

Thanks very much for your replies. I have decided then to go for a cage which is 122cm long, 80cm wide and 65cm tall, hopefully that's ok! It will be open most of the time. Now I just need to choose between a Rex or a teddy (both in the rescue local to me, they took in 16 pregnant females from a breeder). I love the look of both, but it's hard to find out much about their difference online! Any ideas?! Ps we were thinking of getting 2x boars as read that was the best combination! Thanks!

The new cage size sounds great, but it still might be a bit small for 2 males.
They really need a minimum of 140cm long to ensure they don't fall out when they get all hormonal and teenagery!
And that is a shame as I think most rescues have a harder time finding good homes for boars than for sows.
So if 120cm is the maximum cage size then I would personally play it safe and go for a pair of sows.

Not sure about breeds, but I am sure someone on here will be able to advise about that.
And remember that no matter what you end up with we need to see pictures!

A Rex coat has curled whiskers as well, but the teddy has straight whiskers. Thus a Rex always looks a bit extra fuzzy and crimped. I adore rex piggies (I have 3) but mine are the equivalent to a short haired. I have seen teddies with thicker hair, and I have cuddled them, but crimped and wild whiskers always make me smile.

Now I would love a Rex Himalayan...OMG those smudgy noses!

THUD!

*passes out from cute overload*

Thanks everyone! I've taken on board everything and have decided to make my own indoor cage. It will be a double cage, 140cm long and 75cm wide. Going to buy storage units from ikea and then cut out bits / add mesh and plexi etc. As soon as that's done I can get my piggies! Excited now. I have 4 Rex bunnies who live outside in their rabbit mansion aka shed and run so it will be nice to have piggies indoors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back