Cage size for a new boar pair

Gradie and the pigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there we are rescuing a new boar pair soon 😃 and just wounding would a hutch that is 2 metres long and about half a metre wide be enough room for them? 🙂

Sadly the cage you describe is just too small for a boar pair.
Additionally most measurements are for the outside dimensions, and the inside can work out to be much smaller if things like roof overhang is taken into consideration.
I had a feeing in New Zealand who really struggled to find a suitable size hutch for her rabbits - maybe try searching for rabbit hutches?
Or contact Auckland Cavy Care - they might be able to suggest something.
My friend ended up buying 2 120 cm hutches and removing the end panels so she could join them together, but I am not sure if that is something that would work for you?

Sadly the cage you describe is just too small for a boar pair.
Additionally most measurements are for the outside dimensions, and the inside can work out to be much smaller if things like roof overhang is taken into consideration.
I had a feeing in New Zealand who really struggled to find a suitable size hutch for her rabbits - maybe try searching for rabbit hutches?
Or contact Auckland Cavy Care - they might be able to suggest something.
My friend ended up buying 2 120 cm hutches and removing the end panels so she could join them together, but I am not sure if that is something that would work for you?
Thanks yes that could work it’s quite bad in New Zealand trying to find a suitable hutch is really hard but will try this thanks 😊

Hardward stores sell corrugated plastic (name differs in other countries) 4ft by 8ft (sorry I’m American and we do not use metric).

You use a box cutter/utility knife and buy the Squares online or at a local store. I went to Bed, Bath amd Beyond. Be careful with larger square grids as piggies and wedge their head and get stuck (unless you retain high plastic walls).

I found that a custom built cage was how I wanted it. However, being in NZ you might not have that option. Good luck!

It sounds like the op wants a hutch, which I am assuming means they will be kept outside.
If C&C were an option then size wouldn't be an issue.
Yes of course. I only mention it as a surprising amount of people use hutches indoors.

Another option is could you make a hutch? Are you able to make it safe so no predators can harm them? I'm in the UK and have no idea what it's like in New Zealand and may wrongfully assume it's like Australia? (Where everything is out to kill you).

Yes of course. I only mention it as a surprising amount of people use hutches indoors.

Another option is could you make a hutch? Are you able to make it safe so no predators can harm them? I'm in the UK and have no idea what it's like in New Zealand and may wrongfully assume it's like Australia? (Where everything is out to kill you).
No no haha 😆 that worst predator I think would be a stoat but we live in a place we’re it’s very safe so good for the guineas to be outside 😊 and yes we were thinking of making a hutch but thinking about c & c cages for them to be indoors

Hardward stores sell corrugated plastic (name differs in other countries) 4ft by 8ft (sorry I’m American and we do not use metric).

You use a box cutter/utility knife and buy the Squares online or at a local store. I went to Bed, Bath amd Beyond. Be careful with larger square grids as piggies and wedge their head and get stuck (unless you retain high plastic walls).

I found that a custom built cage was how I wanted it. However, being in NZ you might not have that option. Good luck!
Ohh thanks that sounds like a great idea 😃

Back