Cage size for 7

MissEvie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how big a cage I'd need to house 7 piggies .
I currently have 4 sows in a 2x7.
I'm hoping to rescue another 3 and hopefully they will all live happily ever after so how much bigger do I need.
All piggies should be sows of course

You add another grid in length for each additional piggy. So for four piggies a 2x6 is the recommended size, add on an additional three grids for three additional piggies meaning a cage of 2x9 the recommended size for seven piggies. However, any space you can give beyond that would be great. It’s always best to keep less piggies in a bigger cage. Your cage is already slightly bigger than the recommended size which is fantastic so if you can continue that and give seven piggies bigger than a 2x9, then it would be of huge benefit to them.

You add another grid in length for each additional piggy. So for four piggies a 2x6 is the recommended size, add on an additional three grids for three additional piggies meaning a cage of 2x9 the recommended size for seven piggies. However, any space you can give beyond that would be great. It’s always best to keep less piggies in a bigger cage. Your cage is already slightly bigger than the recommended size which is fantastic so if you can continue that and give seven piggies bigger than a 2x9, then it would be of huge benefit to them.
Thanks for your reply.
Could I build out . So have a 2x7 at one end but have 3/4 x7 at the other end. Like a b shape?

The beauty of c&c is that you can have the cage in whatever shape you want/need. As long as the floor area meets the size requirements for the number of piggies, you can get to it in whatever shape you require!

Yes the total floor area is what counts so a b-shape would be fine, we have an L-shape for our 6, 11x2 but it goes round the corner so it is a 5x2 plus 2 extra 3x2 areas along the other wall! We keep a 3x2 area just for hay with disposable paper bedding on the floor then the other areas are fleecy, I guess you could do someting similar- just be aware that the space needed tends to depend on the personalities involved as a group grows in size, and just because they physically fit in for welfare purposes doesnt necessarily mean they will live together! Our 7th piggy lives in a separate room in her own cage with her own husband since even a 2x11 C&C simply could not make her and our boss lady pig tolerate each other- a notorious battle with dramatic injuries and much bloodshed... just make sure you have a plan B if your ladies dont make friends, these cute furry vegan sausage animals can be surprisingly opinionated and vicious!

Back