Cage Size for 2 separate boars.

piggl

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could tell me a good size of c&c for two separate boars.
I have read the sizing guide but i’m not 100% sure how to go about it.

One of my boars (5 years old) has had some back pain recently but after a vet appointment with minimal sign of arthritis, she believe most of the pain is due to his wee friend (4 months) being quite consistent with the humping and dominance routine, so I have made the decision to separate them.

I have only ever owned pigs outdoors, so i’m a complete newby to all the c&c stuff. Could anyone recommend a brand or something if you have a favourite one? Alongside the sizing for a separate boar.
I already use bath mats as bedding so i’m hoping the overall cost won’t be too much as I don’t have a job right now.

Would it be best to lift it off the floor? Or does it not really matter.

Any advice/tips on anything c&c is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Being off the floor doesn’t matter. That’s personal preference. It is more expensive to do so as you will need more grids.

The minimum size for a single is a 3x2 but a 4x2 each is the recommended size.

Are you planning on getting a kit with everything you need or doing it DIY and sourcing grids, correx etc separately?

You can buy a kit from somewhere like cancguineapigcages. I’ve used this company - they are very good

Who else occupies your floor? I have mine on a double stand because we have a dog, cat, and toddler around and it's much safer to have it raised, and as a bonus we have storage space underneath! If you have other animals in the house it's also worth making a lid for protection, especially if they're on the floor. Having a cage at a comfortable height for cleaning can also be a boon.

We had an awkward, narrow space so we just stacked grids but lots of people use things like tables as well. Our cage is from Kavee so not your best option if you're on a budget, but it was convenient.

Edit: Just to add, I really wouldn't have pigs on the floor with other pets in the house. It's more that having a fully open-topped cage on the floor is an extremely bad idea pretty much guaranteed to end badly in this situation. Reread this and realised that hadn't come across at all in what I wrote, sorry.

Last edited:
C&C grids have been amazing for us. Luckily we had plenty and were able to be creative in making a divided home for both boys. We originally started with a cage from
C&C Guinea Pig Cages - Home - CandC Guinea Pig & Rabbit Cages
This has been added to and adapted with 2nd hand grids, and correx from cage creations.

Our boys divided cage is a random shape, I had to bend a couple of grids to accommodate a strange bit of wall sticking out. We think they have approx 2x4 each. One side is slightly less.

We also have our cage raised, currently on Kallax boxes from ikea. Makes cleaning out a lot easier on my back.

Who else occupies your floor? I have mine on a double stand because we have a dog, cat, and toddler around and it's much safer to have it raised, and as a bonus we have storage space underneath! If you have other animals in the house it's also worth making a lid for protection, especially if they're on the floor. Having a cage at a comfortable height for cleaning can also be a boon.

We had an awkward, narrow space so we just stacked grids but lots of people use things like tables as well. Our cage is from Kavee so not your best option if you're on a budget, but it was convenient.
They would be in my bedroom, so no one. We do have a dog but she's 10 years old and would be more interested in my bed then the pigs if she got lifted upstairs.

C&C grids have been amazing for us. Luckily we had plenty and were able to be creative in making a divided home for both boys. We originally started with a cage from
C&C Guinea Pig Cages - Home - CandC Guinea Pig & Rabbit Cages
This has been added to and adapted with 2nd hand grids, and correx from cage creations.

Our boys divided cage is a random shape, I had to bend a couple of grids to accommodate a strange bit of wall sticking out. We think they have approx 2x4 each. One side is slightly less.

We also have our cage raised, currently on Kallax boxes from ikea. Makes cleaning out a lot easier on my back.
Is £50 the running price for one 2x4 cage. Also do you have an image of your set-up, I would love to see it if possible, thanks!

They would be in my bedroom, so no one. We do have a dog but she's 10 years old and would be more interested in my bed then the pigs if she got lifted upstairs.

Sorry I think I was editing as you were typing - if the door is always closed maybe, but I'd still be really wary of having ground-level squeaky running things around a predator, even a predator as gentle as my own dog. They have some old mental wiring that can and does take over sometimes, and it's not worth the risk to me. C&C lids aren't the most secure lids tbh.

Sorry I think I was editing as you were typing - if the door is always closed maybe, but I'd still be really wary of having ground-level squeaky running things around a predator, even a predator as gentle as my own dog. They have some old mental wiring that can and does take over sometimes, and it's not worth the risk to me. C&C lids aren't the most secure lids tbh.
I do understand your concern, although my dog physically can not get up the stairs by herself, let alone the fact she associates it with bath time so she would be too reluctant to anyway. But I do agree with you about the danger of it, and my door would be closed when I leave, not only for the dog but as my mother is allergic to hay, which is why they were outside in the first place.

Thanks for your reply x

Is £50 the running price for one 2x4 cage. Also do you have an image of your set-up, I would love to see it if possible, thanks!
We brought ours in 2020, I can’t remember what we paid.
Amazon sell grids as wire storage boxes- make sure you get the right ones so no one gets stuck- you need grids with 9x9 little internal squares.
I will take a photo for you later.

Is a 1x2 loft worth it? I think Reggie would enjoy it as he enjoys going up and down and jumping onto things but it seems quite small and sort of useless.

Edit - I am aware that lofts do not technically count towards floor space, but as Reggie loves climbing would a 2x3 with a 2x2 loft be as enriching for him than a 2x4. Climbing and jumping onto things is his favourite thing to do.

I just use the Amazon Basics grids - make sure they are 9 hole grids.

Amazon grids

They come as individual grids not cubes like the picture so you can configure to the space you have. You will need to buy the cable ties (for more stability) and correx separately though. I did have a loft when my boys were younger but it should be in addition to an appropriate size cage not part of. As you say, they can’t do much in a small loft! Also you then have to make a ramp (which can be done by bending grids and lining with correx/fleece/carpet). They did like sleeping under the ramp 😂 but they didn’t seem at all bothered when I removed the loft.

Sorry for all the questions, is a 3x3 a good size for a single boar?

I agree - a 3x3 is similar to a 2x4.
Supporting a loft on a 3 grid wide cage is not as easy.
Don’t forget that adding a loft cuts into floor space and in a 3 grid length cage would end up finishing right at the very end of the cage.

Would it be as enriching - technically no. He would be better off in a 2x4 with lots of enrichment added than a 2x3 with a loft.

I agree - a 3x3 is similar to a 2x4.
Supporting a loft on a 3 grid wide cage is not as easy.
Don’t forget that adding a loft cuts into floor space and in a 3 grid length cage would end up finishing right at the very end of the cage.

Would it be as enriching - technically no. He would be better off in a 2x4 with lots of enrichment added than a 2x3 with a loft.
I was thinking about doing a 3x3 normal for my old boy and a 3x3 with a 1x3 loft for my young boy. My hope was that in the middle of the loft (the second of the three grids) I could put a grid underneath it to add additional support, in tern making a sort of closed of “sleeping” area around the back. Practically acting as a “leg” for the loft.

I have attached an image of another forum members loft and highlighted the area that I mean, as i’m not very good at articulating my words.

Attachments

• IMG_4325.webp
    IMG_4325.webp
    48.5 KB · Views: 16
This weekends guinea pig take over, they get all our floor space in our living room too enjoy their equivalent of floor time.
IMG_6816.jpeg

Divided home, pls excuse our random selection of liners, matching anything no longer happens, I refuse to make new fleece pads- so it’s a jigsaw of what fits.
Also it’s Billy’s clean out day. Hamish has to wait for Billy’s current fleece pads to dry before clean out. The fleece round the edges is to prevent hay going where I can’t reach.
IMG_6804.jpeg
IMG_6810.jpeg
Hamish is somewhere under all the hay, Billy is looking for him!

Hope this is of some help to you.

This weekends guinea pig take over, they get all our floor space in our living room too enjoy their equivalent of floor time.
View attachment 231548

Divided home, pls excuse our random selection of liners, matching anything no longer happens, I refuse to make new fleece pads- so it’s a jigsaw of what fits.
Also it’s Billy’s clean out day. Hamish has to wait for Billy’s current fleece pads to dry before clean out. The fleece round the edges is to prevent hay going where I can’t reach.
View attachment 231549
View attachment 231550
Hamish is somewhere under all the hay, Billy is looking for him!

Hope this is of some help to you.
You have some very lucky boys, thanks for all your help!

Two separate pigs cant go ontop of each other can they. Its just trying to find a space big enough for 2 4x2 cages is really hard.

Two separate pigs cant go ontop of each other can they. Its just trying to find a space big enough for 2 4x2 cages is really hard.

No I’m afraid they can’t. Separated piggies have to be side by side

No I’m afraid they can’t. Separated piggies have to be side by side
Is a 2x3 suitable/livable? I know its the minimum, but would my pigs be happy in it from your POV.
Its 70x105

Last edited:
Is a 2x3 suitable/livable? I know its the minimum, but would my pigs be happy in it from your POV.
Its 70x105

When Hugo and Wilbur fell out, I had to put Wilbur in various enclosures while I was trying to find out what I could fit (While I always had a plan b in mind, turns out it wasn’t completely practical!).
One of his enclosures was a 2x3. Yes he was fine in it, it is liveable.
(he now has a 2x4)

With Reggie being so young though, is there a possibility you could make a 2x4 for him and a 2x3 for winston if he is less active, and less likely to want to do zoomies and popcorns?

I know it’s not always easy! As I say, I went through a few options before what we have now

If I thought my old boy would be genuinly happy on his own. Could this be considered?

If I thought my old boy would be genuinly happy on his own. Could this be considered?

Yes it could be.
The thing is, to my understanding it’s not that he is unhappy with Reggie as such but if his health is really suffering because of Reggie’s enthusiasm then separating them might be the option for his safety. Only you can make that call though.

Yes it could be.
The thing is, to my understanding it’s not that he is unhappy with Reggie as such but if his health is really suffering because of Reggie’s enthusiasm then separating them might be the option for his safety. Only you can make that call though.
I made the call to get a new baby friend for him based off a minor weight loss. At that time i was so anxious because he had been alone for over a month I came to that conclusion quite quickly as I was scared of losing another pig.
Realistically he was really quite happy on his own, he has always been laid back and has always been the one to be humped and chased about even with his last friend.
When he was on his own he started popcorning and wheeking for the first time. Even now prefers to just eat and lie about and ever since introducing him to Reggie I have always worried I made the wrong decision.

Is it cruel to separate them? I’m so attached to my Reggie and would never want to get rid of him so I would likely get him a new friend, with a similar age and temperament to the world and they would live in the hutch and run and my lovely winston would come inside in a 3x2 or 4x2 cage and spend his old age with me.

How would you go around doing something like that?
I would love to keep them together but having them side by side in adequate cages is just not possible and I don’t want my Winston spending his old age in pain either.

I’ve spent the whole day measuring, contemplating different options and thinking, I certainly wouldn’t be coming to this decision with ease.

Last edited:
You didn’t make the wrong decision and you won’t make a wrong decision going forward. You are considering everything and working out the best way forward.

The difficulty would be that even if Winston is truly happy to be living in his own territory, being in the house without any interaction through the bars with another piggy would not be in his best interests.

It could/would be possible for them to remain in the garage but to split the bottom half of the hutch in half with grids and then extend it out the front to make each half big enough (either with your existing run also split in half or with c&c grids on the front) so they can still live side by side and still have enough space. Even if Reggie then had a new live in friend. The top half of your hutch would then remain empty/storage.

This is one of the ways I had Wilbur and Hugo split at first. The issue I had with it was with Dex and Pops still living in the top half of the hutch, stepping into the enclosures out the front of the bottom to get to dexter and pops was impractical and dangerous with two sprightly youngsters who love nothing more than getting under my feet!

You didn’t make the wrong decision and you won’t make a wrong decision going forward. You are considering everything and working out the best way forward.

The difficulty would be that even if Winston is truly happy to be living in his own territory, being in the house without any interaction through the bars with another piggy would not be in his best interests.

It could/would be possible for them to remain in the garage but to split the bottom half of the hutch in half with grids and then extend it out the front to make each half big enough (either with your existing run also split in half or with c&c grids on the front) so they can still live side by side and still have enough space. Even if Reggie then had a new live in friend. The top half of your hutch would then remain empty/storage.

This is one of the ways I had Wilbur and Hugo split at first. The issue I had with it was with Dex and Pops still living in the top half of the hutch, stepping into the enclosures out the front of the bottom to get to dexter and pops was impractical and dangerous with two sprightly youngsters who love nothing more than getting under my feet!
Could Winston live in a cage outside (garage) but not directly near/against the hutch. Like a couple feet away?

Could Winston live in a cage outside (garage) but not directly near/against the hutch. Like a couple feet away?

Their eyesight is not good at a couple of feet away so he would need to be closer than that ideally.

Is splitting the bottom half of the hutch not an option for you?

This is what I have going on now (and believe me it has taken me several goes to get to this!). Its been fine for this summer but its not yet winter tested and I do have concerns about warmth for Wilbur. (I don’t particularly like having c&c in the shed but it’s the only thing that’s working at the moment!)
I have plans to use more grids to partially roof Wil’s 2x4, insulate it with silver foil and use blankets. Obviously with my usual insulation, covers, blankets etc over the hutch itself.

(Oh and excuse the mess - I had a hay delivery and destroyed everything in the process plus the evening cage cleans haven’t yet happened! I also don’t normally use food bowls but they had some home grown and dried strawberry leaves and I wanted to see if they actually ate them!)

Attachments

• IMG_2976.webp
    IMG_2976.webp
    183.6 KB · Views: 14
Their eyesight is not good at a couple of feet away so he would need to be closer than that ideally.

Is splitting the bottom half of the hutch not an option for you?
It would be quite tough to split it safely and to get my parents onboard to make so many "renovations". I have already made it so their cars cant fit in the garage lol, and my mum is insistent I can not take up any more room in the garage.

My best option is to remove Winston completely and get Reggie a more suitable friend, but then the only way to make that work efficiently is to have him in my bedroom or a couple feet away in his own cage. Would he ever be able to live a happy life in my bedroom? I would keep his life as good as possible.

Assuming there can be no renovations/side by side living made possible, would it be best to have him in his own cage a few metres away and still able to hear them or in my bedroom.

Last edited:
Back