Cage Size for 2 boars

NoblePanda

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just want to check if this is okay before my piggies arrive... I am planning to adopt 2 boars (age 4) and have been reading guides etc on space. I have bought a 4x2 c&c cage with a 1x2 loft area.
On the adoption site it said 4x2 is good. However, on here you say 5x2 for two boars. Does the loft fill that gap? Or is it not enough space?

ALSO I was reading the guides about getting used to somewhere new - do I have the loft attached from the beginning or add it later?

Thank you in advance for the advice!

NP

Welcome to the forum

The loft does not count towards the cage size, it’s an additional space and the only part you can count is the area on ground level. Piggies aren’t natural climbers and need their space to be single level.

A 4x2 is the minimum size for two boars (measuring 150cm x 77cm). We recommend a 5x2 (180cm) because boars are more territorial and need more space. i originally had mine, although mine were teenagers at the time, in a 4x2 equivalent and it was nowhere near big enough for them.
if you have the floor space, I would personally not bother with the loft and would instead use the grids to give them more ground level space.

If, once your boys have settled in and establish their territory, if you then change that territory by making it bigger afterwards, then they will go through a period of settling and reestablishing themselves. This will manifest in extra dominance behaviours. It is therefore advisable to keep territory changes to an absolute minimum, and that can include only changing half the bedding at one time, so that the cage always smells of them.

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Thanks! So much reading and already made the first mistake! I went for c&c so can I just pick up some exrtra correx somewhere to make the floor bigger?

Thanks! So much reading and already made the first mistake! I went for c&c so can I just pick up some exrtra correx somewhere to make the floor bigger?

Youve not made a mistake, a 4x2 is the minimum size for two boars, so it’s not wrong at all, it is an acceptable cage, but the more space you can give boars the better.

Do you not have the correx that you were going to use for the loft, that can just be added to the cage base to extend it

Followed your instructions and did this xD I can't imagine these boys going up the ramp as they are very very chunky boars! Hopefully they like the space once they stop hiding from us as much!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-01-09 at 11.32.34.webp
    WhatsApp Image 2021-01-09 at 11.32.34.webp
    110.2 KB · Views: 46
I have 2 pairs of boars. I would say the cage you get depends on how well the boars get along. I have a pair in 2x5 grid c&c cage and they love to bicker and pester each other. They are bonded and do love each other, but they can't always agree on whose dominant and whose submissive. My boars in my 2x4 get along incredibly well and don't bicker or make any angry piggy noises at all, and share the space with no complaints. But if you have a choice, go for a 2x5! Bigger is always better for pigs and they will appreciate the space.

Bigger is always better, even for sows.
I have 2 pairs of boars. I would say the cage you get depends on how well the boars get along. I have a pair in 2x5 grid c&c cage and they love to bicker and pester each other. They are bonded and do love each other, but they can't always agree on whose dominant and whose submissive. My boars in my 2x4 get along incredibly well and don't bicker or make any angry piggy noises at all, and share the space with no complaints. But if you have a choice, go for a 2x5! Bigger is always better for pigs and they will appreciate the space.

I think our boars are having this issue in the 2x5 when they are content to be in their indoor run I think we will make a 4x4 for them to live in. I know the change isn't ideal but they are so much bigger than we thought they would be! Downside of COVID adopting! Harder to prepare!

Back