Cage Setup and Cleaning - Best Practices

Jessi88

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

I know there's a ton of posts on cage setup and cleaning, but I want to create a thread for best practices.

What are some of the best tips and tricks you have for a perfect cage setup and cleaning (schedule, ways to make it easier, supplies to use, etc.)?

If you have links to other posts/threads that cover these topics that's helpful too!

Schedule your cleans is one I do and make sure I make time for cleaning. I ask make sure I have a constant supply of f10 spray in for cleaning times so we don’t run out

If you have large enclosures, get decent tools.. I shaved a good hour off of my clean out time by swapping a dustpan and brush for a rake, a shovel for mucking out horses and a broom. Probably wouldn't be much help for fleece bedding though 😅

Outsource as many jobs as possible to other people, too 🤣 ive pretty much always got someone holding a bag open for me for example.

Make sure you have whatever you need for a clean out at least a week in advance. I know it sounds obvious but it can be easy to suddenly not have enough hay, or not enough bedding (unless you use fleece), not enough rubbish bags, you get the idea. Set a day aside to work out what you have and what you need, much like you might if you're ordering repeat prescriptions.

I agree with lorcan,get all your cleaning essentials together.it takes me 3 to 4 hours to clean my lot out,and factor in going to the local tip.

They're often a bit harder to find, but dustpan brushes and broom heads with split ends. They sweep up little bits of forage off fleece much better/ with less effort than cheapo brushes where the bristles are solid.

I will list my routine and where I purchased items for others.

Mini dustpan and brush - dollar store.
Fleece - joann fabrics.
Old towels - my grandmom :D
Funnel - walmart.
Water bottles x2 - amazon.
Hay - tractor supply.
Floor time pen - amazon.

My routine is simple. Every day I spot clean with the dustpan minimum x2 but normally x3. Every 3-4 days I do a full cleanse. Remove all fleece and towels and wash. Boys get 3 hours of floor time in the portable pen.

Rinse and repeat.

Back