Cage set-up options

SquirrelPiggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

Our 2 sows are arriving at the end of October. I have decided to get a 4 or possibly a 5 x 2 c and c cage depending on the size of the space I have when I clear out fully.

My first question is, will I save much money by making it myself? I’m struggling to find the 9x9 grids anywhere other than Amazon.

Question 2 is, I have been given a more “traditional” and much smaller cage that is 2 storey. Is it worth trying to incorporate this into their home in some way to give them the option, or am I just giving up space for little gain?

The ramp looks quite steep to me so I’m not sure about it. I wondered whether to just use the trays for keeping hay tidier within the c and c. Would they need ramps either side to get in and out if I did this?

The gifted cage is similar to this Ferplast Vital Rabbit Cage 120

Thank you :)

I have never had luck with 2 storey cages. One pig refused to go up ramp and you have to be careful on steepness. The size of a c&c means they have more one floor space also to run around in

I would recommend cable tieing grids together if you build yourself. Have you checked eBay for grids?

It depends on your perspective! There is an ease to buying a full kit knowing you’ve got everything you need.

Id personally not bother incorporating the commercial cage.
The option would be to put it at the end of the c&c and so they have access from it into the c&c but in reality the edge of the commercial cage is just going to mean they’ve got to have ramps to climb over it (or you’ve got to cut holes into the side of the commercial cage) thereby breaking their space - this may or may not be an issue.
You could put the tray of it inside the c&c but given it’s measurement is the vast proportion of a c&c cage, then they would have hardly any uninterrupted floor space left in the c&c cage. A 4x2 c&c is 150x77cm but a 120 commercial cage is 120x60cm so they’d have a matter of a few 20-30 cm of floor space left surrounding the commercial cage. Again, ramps needed or holes cut into the commercial cage

I’d definitely recommend eBay too, I got a great price last year with my 9 hole ones and a lid if you need one (and recently with 8 holes but not for young piglets obviously), then you buy the correx for it separately etc.
Here’s mine but there’s lots more, mine was made into a 4x3 with a lid because of my elderly cat but I’ve just made mine even bigger yest!

C&C , C AND C GUINEA PIG RUN / CAGE , WITH ROOF . FREE DELIVERY. ALL SIZES | eBay

The ramp looks a bit steep to me too, think my rats would have managed that but not sure my piggies would manage tbh!

Thanks folks, I really appreciate the replies.

I have decided to buy a cage as I am not confident I will get it right doing it myself. I may add a stand later myself though as I like the idea of them being off the ground and having some storage underneath.

Once it’s here and put up I’ll see what I can work out.

Thanks again :)

Back