Cage recommendations?

Strawberry_Calf4

New Born Pup
Reaction score
What's a good 70x24 cage for two boys?

I know those c&c cages are popular but I don't really like them..I would like a top on it. Gives me less anxiety with having other animals around.

There are not really any single commercial cages that are big enough for boars and that meet the recommended measurements but there are options…..
The largest commercial cage available is the ferplast plaza 160, even that still comes in 20cm smaller than the recommended 180x60cm (which is fine for some pairs but for others it can be tight). I am sure you can buy 40cm extension pieces for it though so you could make it 200x60cm if the extension pieces are available to you.
The other option option is to get two commercial cages and join them together. You could buy two standard 120cm cages (which on their own are too small) and connect them.

I had a ferplast plaza 160 as one of my spare cages for when my piggies had to come inside. It was absolutely fine for one of my boar pairs. However it would have not worked for my younger boar pair, it would have been a bit too small for them (they had twice as much space and even that wasn’t enough for them - their bond has since broken anyway and the ferplast plaza now houses a single boar as his winter home).

(This is why a lot of indoor boar owners do go for 5x2 c&c cage because they definitely are big enough, and they can have lids fitted to them but they aren’t always an option for everyone)

Cage Size Guide
Member Gallery: Commercial Cages

There are not really any single commercial cages that are big enough for boars and that meet the recommended measurements but there are options…..
The largest commercial cage available is the ferplast plaza 160, even that still comes in 20cm smaller than the recommended 180x60cm (which is fine for some pairs but for others it can be tight). I am sure you can buy 40cm extension pieces for it though so you could make it 200x60cm if the extension pieces are available to you.
The other option option is to get two commercial cages and join them together. You could buy two standard 120cm cages (which on their own are too small) and connect them.

I had a ferplast plaza 160 as one of my spare cages for when my piggies had to come inside. It was absolutely fine for one of my boar pairs. However it would have not worked for my younger boar pair, it would have been a bit too small for them (they had twice as much space and even that wasn’t enough for them - their bond has since broken anyway and the ferplast plaza now houses a single boar as his winter home).

(This is why a lot of indoor boar owners do go for 5x2 c&c cage because they definitely are big enough, and they can have lids fitted to them but they aren’t always an option for everyone)

Cage Size Guide
Member Gallery: Commercial Cages

I've looked more into them. I think I'm just going to get two 5x2 c&c cages for both the boys and the girls.

Thank you though!

You can put a roof/lid onto a C&C. We have no other pets other than guineas and had an open C&C very happily for years, but we tragically lost an elderly pig to a cat attack (a random local cat got into the house without us realising) and ever since then we have had a lid on the cage.

We have a 6x 2 C&C with a low 1x2 loft and I custom-made our lid for stability and ease of access - some of the ones you see online always look a bit wobbly and cumbersome. I used normal C&C grids, but created six individual liftable sections rather than trying to cable-tie together one big lid. Each individual section has its own metal support bar so it is nice and stable and about as cat-proof as I can make it. We also use velcro ties to secure the section over the loft at one end for extra safety. Happy to post pictures, if that would be useful.

Back