Cage mate died- will baby guinea pig be ok?

JosieK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Our lovely boar Gus passed away today at just 7 months old after a couple of days of being off. He seemed sick on Saturday morning, was at the vets that afternoon and after being given emeprid and metacam seemed to improve yesterday. This morning, I found him seemingly having a fit/seizure and was at the emergency vet within 30 minutes. He died while being sat in the waiting room with me.

A couple of weeks ago, we had brought Gus bonding and he picked a lovely little friend at the rescue who is now about 9 weeks old. Will he be ok on his own for a couple of weeks while I decide what do do? We have another pair of boars (about 1.5 years old and another baby 9 weeks old). He could live next to them for now. I am guessing he can not be in the same cage, even at a young age?

I am absolutely heartbroken and don't want to go out and get another pig straight away, in fact I may decide not to get any more and surrender the little guy back to the rescue so he can be paired up and rehomed, as bad as that sounds.

I am just not sure if I can deal with the constant heartache of losing piggies anymore.

We only just lost a boar at 10 months old last November and to be honest I don't know if I can go through this again. I am starting to feel like I am doing something wrong and it's my fault they keep passing away.

Any advice would be appreciated

I’m so sorry for your losses. It is tough pill to swallow but please believe you are doing nothing wrong. The nature of piggies is that they can go downhill very quickly. They are too good at hiding their symptoms.

With regards the boy left behind, he is too young to be living alone. He really needs a companion. So as much as it hurts you and it’s too soon, you will need to find him a friend to live with. This age is the equivalent of ‘piggy school’ when they learn to behave like piggies and their social norms. Piggies below 4 months need companionship a lot more. Hence overlooking living next to others and quarantine if needed.

He can live by your other pair in the meantime. But he does need a friend of his own. There is a risk of breaking the current bond if you try to put him in with the pair so I would err on the side of caution.

Do take care of yourself and remember you did al you could. So sorry 💕

So very sorry for your loss.
I do understand that feeling of grief and not wanting the pain of bereavement any more.
You might like to contact Cavy Corner in Doncaster.
It’s possible that you could foster a piggy for your boy.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve.

Thanks for your replies.

Will the baby be ok for a week or two next to my other pair? Or do I need to act quicker? He is a very timid little thing and I am afraid he will get lonely

Thanks for your replies.

Will the baby be ok for a week or two next to my other pair? Or do I need to act quicker? He is a very timid little thing and I am afraid he will get lonely

It very much depends on the piggy - some will be ok for a few weeks, some need companionship much sooner if acute pining starts (this is not common but can occur).
As he has the other pair for companionship through the bars, they will hopefully buy you some time

I am so very sorry for your losses :( but please rest assured, you have done nothing wrong. It's just sheer bad luck. I lost 3 piggies in quick succession in 2013 and then again in 2015 and I really did feel like throwing in the towel. But I adopted more (as friends for the remaining ones) and am now back up to 4 piggies and my eldest is nearly 7.

If acute pining occurs, you will have to act fast but it is rare and hopefully your baby will be ok living next door to your other boars for a few weeks while you decide your next step. But it would be a great shame if you gave up piggy ownership as you sound like a very caring owner and any piggy is lucky to have a home with you x

Thank you, I will make sure to keep a close eye on the baby while I decide what to do. I keep changing my mind about what to do, he is a lovely little guy and I love my piggies dearly but losing two at such a young age and so suddenly has really been traumatic and taken its toll on my mental health.
They were both lovely and I shared a very close bond with them so it's very difficult for me. I am almost scared of getting too attached to piggies again in case they also pass suddenly. I also feel very guilty and keep asking myself what I could have done wrong.

Hopefully with time I will be able to think more rationally but at the moment it's very difficult to make sense of anything.

Thank you, I will make sure to keep a close eye on the baby while I decide what to do. I keep changing my mind about what to do, he is a lovely little guy and I love my piggies dearly but losing two at such a young age and so suddenly has really been traumatic and taken its toll on my mental health.
They were both lovely and I shared a very close bond with them so it's very difficult for me. I am almost scared of getting too attached to piggies again in case they also pass suddenly. I also feel very guilty and keep asking myself what I could have done wrong.

Hopefully with time I will be able to think more rationally but at the moment it's very difficult to make sense of anything.
Your little boy is likely to ‘be over it’ before you are. Be guided by him but also take time to grieve. It’s funny how such small creatures can worm their way into our hearts 🙂

Back