Cage lining material

klovesguins

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!

I normally purchase unread newspapers from Finacard but it looks like they have closed down. Can anyone suggest a safe lining alternative please? (In the UK) Just a bit more info, I use newspaper, then woodshaving and paper bedding on top with hay to finish! This is changed daily.

Fleece isn't an option for me right now. My girls also like to pull up and munch on the paper so it definitely needs to be safe to be eaten 🤣

What is your cage base?
If it is on Correx, you can actually just put the bedding directly on it.

What is your cage base?
If it is on Correx, you can actually just put the bedding directly on it.
It's a commercial cage, so a plastic base. I don't use very much of the woodshavings and paper bedding mix as one of the piggies doesn't walk very well and I find it makes it more difficult for her, so the newspaper helps with grip and absorbing.

Can you ask friends, family, neighbours to save any newspapers?
Perhaps ask on a local Facebook group?

The age of technology!

I use newspaper under bedding. My grandmother still gets a newspaper daily and my husband has a weekly paper so I do manage to get a bit of a supply but it isn’t as easy as it used to be!

I'm lucky living in a city, there's a lot of free newspapers in shops etc. It's always worth keeping an eye out for leaflets and free newspapers in supermarkets. The really shiny leaflets aren't absorbent enough but some are, I remove any staples and open them out.

I use unprinted newsprint as the bottom layer in my cages (or at least that's where it starts ... until they rip it up and toss bits wherever.) I get mine as a large pad from an art store. I don't like dealing with newspaper ink; it bothers my hands, and I'd rather the piggies not be playing with it either. I use the paper mostly as a tool for cleaning - it gives me somewhere to brush the fur and hay bits from the mats: just collect it there and then ball of the paper and toss in the trash.

(When I was young, I used to have my mum photocopy the crossword puzzle, so I could do it without having to touch the ink. I still have to wash my hands pretty much immediately after handling anything with newspaper ink.)

I grab the free papers from Waitrose. I just go in and buy a couple of things that they have on offer and then fill my trolley with their free newspaper.

I believe that a lot of people now use bathroom noodle mats on top of puppy pads, maybe that could be an option for you.

I use unprinted newsprint as the bottom layer in my cages (or at least that's where it starts ... until they rip it up and toss bits wherever.) I get mine as a large pad from an art store. I don't like dealing with newspaper ink; it bothers my hands, and I'd rather the piggies not be playing with it either. I use the paper mostly as a tool for cleaning - it gives me somewhere to brush the fur and hay bits from the mats: just collect it there and then ball of the paper and toss in the trash.

(When I was young, I used to have my mum photocopy the crossword puzzle, so I could do it without having to touch the ink. I still have to wash my hands pretty much immediately after handling anything with newspaper ink.)
I will look into this, thank you! I did a quick search and found you can buy in in rolls so I will be giving that a try.

I grab the free papers from Waitrose. I just go in and buy a couple of things that they have on offer and then fill my trolley with their free newspaper.

I believe that a lot of people now use bathroom noodle mats on top of puppy pads, maybe that could be an option for you.
This is such a smart idea! I will check out the mats, thank you 😊

I used to grab the Waitrose ones too- I could normally take a week's supply without getting too many odd looks...
Always funny doing the clean out and seeing who the piggies had chosen to wee on. :)

When putting newspapers down if I spot a picture of someone I don't like I make sure they go in a favourite wee spot. Childish I know!

Are there any hotels, care homes or local neighbours who would save them for you? have a walk around your street and see who puts out newspaper for recycling, you could then perhaps ask them if it would be ok to take them when the box is put out
newsagents who would save them for you or free ads papers. Train station concourses, estate agents, and supermarket have them too

Does anyone know if 'chip shop' paper or kraft paper is safe?
I use chip shop paper from an eBay seller. Polo eats it all the time, and swallows it, I think. So far I haven't seen any sign of trouble from it. I think (hope) it just washes through. I try to hide the edges under hay. I'll post the link in a mo.

I've used all sorts of wood flakes in the past but we've recently switched as we notice they sneeze a bit with it.

We've been trialing shredded teabag casings recently, it seems good value and very "springy" so a little goes a long way. Only caveat is it moves around quite easily so they like to make little burrows/nests which causes holes straight onto the plastic floor, so kinda defeated the absorbancey of it.
PXL_20240619_101109177.webp

Next to try is shredded egg boxes. I think it was ecoshred but will need to ask the wife... Have a read if you've got 5 mins. Looks promising :nod:

Are there any hotels, care homes or local neighbours who would save them for you? have a walk around your street and see who puts out newspaper for recycling, you could then perhaps ask them if it would be ok to take them when the box is put out
newsagents who would save them for you or free ads papers. Train station concourses, estate agents, and supermarket have them too
Thank you for all the suggestions! I will start asking around 😊

Thanks for the link! Time to order some 😁

I've used all sorts of wood flakes in the past but we've recently switched as we notice they sneeze a bit with it.

We've been trialing shredded teabag casings recently, it seems good value and very "springy" so a little goes a long way. Only caveat is it moves around quite easily so they like to make little burrows/nests which causes holes straight onto the plastic floor, so kinda defeated the absorbancey of it.
View attachment 251092

Next to try is shredded egg boxes. I think it was ecoshred but will need to ask the wife... Have a read if you've got 5 mins. Looks promising :nod:
I've never heard of teabag casings as bedding before! I'm definitely going to do some research, seems like both options could be very promising especially as one of my piggies loves to make nests 🤣

Just an update on the "ecoshred" egg boxes.

Used for around ~3 weeks now and it's very absorbent and does not move so seems excellent as a liner for my style of enclosure.

Cons would be it's not cheap... It takes a lot to cover the floor. A small amount of dust too due to the nature of the material, but no where near as bad as shavings.

Hope this helps 🙂

Tried to get clover to model, but she didn't cooperate..

PXL_20240713_203511159.webpPXL_20240713_203530471.webp

Thank you, it looks soft and four friendly while being easy to sweep up. I will give it a try if I can afford it.

Hello!

I normally purchase unread newspapers from Finacard but it looks like they have closed down. Can anyone suggest a safe lining alternative please? (In the UK) Just a bit more info, I use newspaper, then woodshaving and paper bedding on top with hay to finish! This is changed daily.

Fleece isn't an option for me right now. My girls also like to pull up and munch on the paper so it definitely needs to be safe to be eaten 🤣
Do you have a community whatsapps group ? I asked on there for papers and have regular donations, also do you have a local garden centre that does a plant magazine or the local community paper - when they are out of date they will usually let you have them.

Just an update on the "ecoshred" egg boxes.

Used for around ~3 weeks now and it's very absorbent and does not move so seems excellent as a liner for my style of enclosure.

Cons would be it's not cheap... It takes a lot to cover the floor. A small amount of dust too due to the nature of the material, but no where near as bad as shavings.

Hope this helps 🙂

Tried to get clover to model, but she didn't cooperate..

View attachment 252393View attachment 252394
Love your piggy cave !

Back