Cage cleaning

Sivlei

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a quick question. I have two boars—how often does their cage need to be cleaned? It’s 63 by 23 inches. Thanks!

Reactions: thc
It should be spot cleaned every day. That means to remove poop and wet areas of hay and bedding daily.

How often you need to do a full clean depends on a few factors such as what type of bedding you use.
Fleece can need to be changed every 3 to 5 days whereas with some disposable beddings you may only need to do a full clean once a week.

Doing a full clean in one go can ‘upset’ some boars though. A full clean of the whole cage in one go means all scent gets removed and it can cause a bit of upset and dominance amongst some boar pairs. It can also make it smell more - if you remove all the scent then the piggies will scent mark more which will cause more smell. So cleaning too much can make it smell worse.
If you boys are teenagers or prone to this kind issue, then doing a full clean should be split in half - fully clean half of the cage one day and then fully clean the other half the next day. That way some scent always remains.

I’ve just seen on your introductory post that you have fleece.

Using fleece pee pads in high traffic areas can make it easier as you can just remove the pee pads daily/every couple of days which can mean you get a bit longer out of your fleece but typically a fleece change will need to be every 3-5 days.
The type is absorbent underlayer you use is also important.
A lot of the smell can come from damp hay so that still needs to be removed and replaced every day.

What do you have under your fleece?

I used to use towels and they stink so bad, it is much better/easier to use things made for such like puppy pads.

Puppy pads? I will buy some and try them out under the fleece. I used to use papa we towels under too but I quit for the same reason

Puppy pads? I will buy some and try them out under the fleece. I used to use papa we towels under too but I quit for the same reason

Yes, all fleece needs an absorbent layer. The fleece needs to wick the urine through to the absorbent layer underneath and the absorbent layer locks it away.
Its quite normal to use puppy pads under fleece.

What do you have under the fleece right now?

A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

How long have you had your piggies?
Did you wick the fleece before use (wash it three times to ensure urine soaks through it)?

I have had my piggies for a few months and I just started using my fleeces straight from the packet. I might try washing them multiple times.

I have had my piggies for a few months and I just started using my fleeces straight from the packet. I might try washing them multiple times.

Have you been using the fleece since you got the piggies though? If so, then they will have been washed multiple times by now so they should be wicking by now.
If you buy any new fleece, then it needs to be washed three times you put it into the cage otherwise it won’t absorb urine.
Please do read the guide I linked in as it explains fleece bedding.

What do you currently use as the absorbent layer under the fleece?

At the moment there’s nothing under— I need to get some mores pads because I don’t have enough for there to be one under all the time

At the moment there’s nothing under— I need to get some mores pads because I don’t have enough for there to be one under all the time

There needs to be something absorbent underneath fleece at all times, as without the absorbent layer the fleece won’t work, the urine has nowhere to go. This is why you are getting smells and it puts your piggies at risk of being on wet bedding which will not be healthy for them.

If you have any old towels or even newspaper then put those under the fleece now as a temporary measure but generally towels can be problematic for long term use.

My set up is newspaper on the bottom, then puppy pads, then ikea bath mats.
I change these fully once a week and I spot clean twice a day.

When you wick fleece, that allows the pee to go through and the absorbent layer underneath is what takes the pee away from the surface, which is needed for this to be a suitable bedding.
I wash my fleece with one scoop washing powder, pet hair dissolver and some white vinegar in a horse bag and this works well for me.
What type of fleece is it you have? Just a plain "blanket" type or one with an absorbent layer inbetween?

Yes, all fleece needs an absorbent layer. The fleece needs to wick the urine through to the absorbent layer underneath and the absorbent layer locks it away.
Its quite normal to use puppy pads under fleece.

What do you have under the fleece right now?

A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

How long have you had your piggies?
Did you wick the fleece before use (wash it three times to ensure urine soaks through it)?
I have got towels under my fleece and it really helps.

I clean my 4 pugs out daily but that's just personal preference as I like the cage super clean.

I use bedding now, but when I used fleece, I put puppy pads underneath & then a thick towel, & it really helped absorb the urine & kept everything dry.

Definitely spot clean daily.
I use bedding, but I clean up any soiled bedding daily & replenish. Full clean once a week, sometimes I can go a week & a half since the daily spot cleaning helps a lot.

Unless OP has bought the premade fleece liners that have an absorbent layer built in?

Back