Cage cleaning - vacuums

Tylerspigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I have recently purchased the Craftsman 2.5 gallon shopvac which I did not realise until I just tried using it that the hose is smaller on the small shopvac (my brain understands the logic now but not when I was purchasing the thing). The diameter is 1.25 inches while the larger capacity shopvacs have a 2.5 inch hose which sounds much better. The hose on the shopvac I just got gets clogged in less than 10 seconds with the hay or the paper bedding which is the most frustrating thing ever.

Are there any recommendations on what could work well to easily suck up all the hay and bedding? I am looking for something small too which is the issue because the shopvacs don’t seem to get the larger hoses until the 12 gallon shopvac which is way too large for me. There is not much room under their cage or in the rest of the room but they make a huge mess and it takes so long to spot clean.

I am also worried about endangering their delicate ears as they are very scared of loud noises and their ears are sensitive.

Basically I am looking for the impossible
cheap
2.5 inch hose
small/compact
powerful
quiet/low dB

I guess my question would be, how powerful does it actually need to be? We use a cordless vacuum cleaner to get dust and hay bits out of the piggy fleeces, it's low power but works fine. The hose does get clogged every so often but it's easy enough to clear out. And it's nice and quiet.

I guess my question would be, how powerful does it actually need to be? We use a cordless vacuum cleaner to get dust and hay bits out of the piggy fleeces, it's low power but works fine. The hose does get clogged every so often but it's easy enough to clear out. And it's nice and quiet.
Do you know the brand or model? It doesn’t really need to be that powerful as long as it picks up bedding and hay.

The brand is Beldray. There isn't a model number on it.

I don't try to pick up large pieces of hay with it, I pick those up by hand and use the vacuum to pull the dust and fragments out of the fleece.

I use a shark hoover we got in the black Friday sale. Super powerful. We clean most with a dustpan then the vac gor left over bits.

Back