Cage Biting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

boureki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Anyone know why they do it (I suspect it's to try and get to the piggie next door) and how to stop it? We had some 'Chew Stoppa' spray which seems to have zero effect!

Anyone have any ideas?

Julie

I have Cindy and Wilson in a 2 storey C+C cage so they cant get to eachother but they constantly chew it... maybe its bordem? Maybe if you get a food they dont like and rub it all over the wire? that moght stop them ;D

Ideally we are hoping to set up a big C&C cage in the not too distant future. I reckon it may be boredom, you may be right. It's between our two boys who have recently fallen out and had to be seperated, now housed side by side. I was wondering if they just wanted to get to each other!

I'll have to keep moving their stuff around in their cages to try and keep things a bit different.

Our two newer boys do it very occasionally, we put that down to the fact they have just realised each other existed!

Julie

My Ernie is a chronic bar chewer - he does it for attention I'm sure as you never hear him at it when you are not in the kitchen but the moment anyone walks in there he's off like a little loony.......

I suspect in this case though its because they are trying to get at each other - my boys in the split cage were very naughty at this until I put some fiddle sticks across the dividing cubes - out of sight out of mind I guess!

starshine said:
My Ernie is a chronic bar chewer - he does it for attention I'm sure as you never hear him at it when you are not in the kitchen but the moment anyone walks in there he's off like a little loony.......

I suspect in this case though its because they are trying to get at each other - my boys in the split cage were very naughty at this until I put some fiddle sticks across the dividing cubes - out of sight out of mind I guess!

Attention seeking is something I hadn't considered! That's interesting and a definate possibility as they are now alone.
We resorted to placing a towel between the two cages so they couldn't see each other and sometimes it works, but poor Blaze looks like he misses Scampy dreadfully and is looking rather dejected since they fell out, so I hate to seperate them even further! When we saw Vedra at the CCT on Saturday she mentioned to look at their teeth every few days to make sure they hadn't been broken and to get them filed asap if they are - now they are cage biting it seems they have increased their chances of broken teeth no end!

One time I had a single male (in the process of being matched up with a buddy) and a single female (was scheduled to be adopted as a buddy) in cages next to each other. They constantly chewed at the bars and it was definitely because they wanted to get to each other. I felt so bad but I had no where to move them to! However, it very well could be attention, or you just have a chewer on your hands. I'm not sure how to stop it. Some guinea pigs just grow out of it.

Kimmie

i have 2 boys housed together and one tends to chew the cage bars now and again - my hamster used to do it all the time!

murphy one of my rescued ones has developed a strange liking to the bars between him and scooby and the 3 next door I do check his teeth and am more worried about him developing sores in the corner of his mouth and have genetian violets ready just in case,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back